1911Forum banner

Red Dot For Around $150

5K views 43 replies 39 participants last post by  Johnny handgun 
#1 ·
My kid wants a red dot sight for his AR. I was thinking about getting him one for Christmas. My budget is $150, maybe a little more, but not much. What's out there in that price range that's worth buying? I ask politely that no one say " if you can go another hundred", because I can't. I've already spent a couple hundred on him for Christmas, and 150 is pushing it. Thanks.

#3 ·
You are gonna spend that much in batteries over the life of the red dot. I know the pain. In fact, I probably will spend that much in batteries over a couple of years on my mouse for the iMac I'm working with.
My Aimpoint Comp M4 has been on for about the last 2 years, takes one AA battery and is ready to go at any time. Of course, that thing is well out of your price range by a factor of at least 4.
Look around, there are a number of decent red dot sights in that price range. I have a Bushnell floating around, I think it is on my Smith SR22, chances are the batteries are dead since I haven't used the gun in a year or so but I can pick up the batteries at a CVS or even my local Publix supermarket. I find the 4 MOA dot to be obtrusive for shooting groups but for plinking at little steel targets or the occasional bushy tailed rat, it is adequate.

#5 ·
The above sight and the Bushnell TRS-25 sights are good bang for you buck sights. I have the TRS-25 on an AR and I am happy with it.

One day, the technology that makes the battery life last like in Aimpoints will come down in price! Until you can afford one of those, sights like mentioned will work as long as you don't depend on them as go to rifles out of the safe without iron sights at the ready for backup when the battery is dead!

#9 ·
- Pinch pennies
- Buy gently used Aimpoint
- For his BIRTHDAY

PROFIT! :cool:

Or... buy some cheap crap that breaks the first time out (I'd recommend Barska or NCStar - you stand a good chance of both those breaking before you ever mount them!), and get behind the 8-ball ANOTHER $150 on a GOOD red dot.

/thread

#11 ·
Not everyone wants to or can afford to purchase those things! I think they are way overpriced for what they are. Right now, they are sold based on their battery life! And if that is something worth it to you, then by all means, go for it. But when you think about how simple a red dot sight is compared to quality standard scopes, that cost the same or less and have a lot more engineering and effort to build etc..., red dot sights are ridiculous in price if you ask me.

They are one thing that I hope market competition brings the price down on soon.

Both the Primary Arms and Bushnell TRS-25 sights always get high reviews for quality etc... And they are rated a best bang for your buck in a lot of review places.

If either of the above sights break your first time out, then you got a dud and the warranty should take care of it. Vortex is another brand out there and they seem to have one of the best warranties in the business from what I've read and seen. Break it and they'll replace it even it's your fault.

#17 ·
Thanks everyone, for your suggestions. Through some sly questioning, I found out which sight my son was interested in. Turns out it was the Vortex Strikefire II, so that's what I ordered. I was afraid he was wanting something far more expensive (he usually does,lol), so this actually worked out well. Thanks again.

#20 · (Edited)
Aimpoint may seem over priced but they are reliable, and rugged, aside from the battery life. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't use the gun for hard duty. There are other great options like Trijicon, Eotech, Mepro, Meopta, and even Sig Romeo line, but they will all set you back $400+. The same guys that return Eotech for the refund will probably never experience thermal drift unless they are travelling to different regions and weather extremes. So Eotech is a great option as long as its a newer model without battery connector issues. The AA models are fine there is a fix for the terminals if they go out occasionally. Aimpoint Pro is okay but not forged aluminum like the M models. Trijicon is my recommendation the MRO because you can get a basic mount setup for under $400 and its a great American product. The new Vortex AR mini red dot appears to be solid for around $200.00. Anything less will result in battery cut off issues and just stop working randomly. This could result in loss of life, and that's not worth $50 difference from a Vortex. Some of Vortex older models are not what I would recommend for duty use. Anything under $400 retail is probably a range toy, with the exception of the Vortex AR micro red dot. It ruggeduzed version of the older model that was almost tough enough for duty use. You can also use a Vortex prism sight and they can be reasonably priced. Just avoid red dot under $400 SPARC AR $260 and venom, and viper can be mounted on a riser mount for AR and all are good rugged sights for $300 Ish. If you cant afford one, Holosun without auto shutoff or brightness is probably the best $150 red dot, but it may cease to function randomly due to battery or auto sensor issues. Good luck

Forgot to mention, Tasco Pro Point. I have one it's 20+ years old and it holds zero on a 7.63x39 SKS and runs -20 in the winter and 100 in the summer. Looks like crap but who cares, you can get them on ebay for like $25.00. My model is the older metal one made in Japan. Look for made in Japan models. I did some work for a special police unit and all their old HKs had Tasco pro Points on them and they lasted years being tossed around in a special response teams loadout. Battery life is good too as long as you leave it shut off. Only problem is it's easy to turn it on accidentally. I recommend duct tape it off after each use, and just leave tape on the dial to prevent accidental discharge. In an emergency you can just muscle the dial on with your thumb.

#23 ·
Bushnell TRS-25. Right in your price range. Good brightness, good battery life, accurate, TOUGH AS NAILS (dropped mine on pavement with NO damage and NO change in zero), small & light. Don't know if you like the guy or not, but Nutnfancy on youtube had a pretty good review of this product. I own two of them, so I'm a believer/fan.

#28 ·
No BS here, but I have two AR's, one Windham in 5.56mm and another, Oly Arms in 9mm. Both have the same red dot sight, a Sightmark Ultra Shot Reflex, running around $80 bucks. Sounds cheap, but both have held zero for over a year now, and I can do a standing 2" to 3" grouping all day long at 100 yards with both. I prefer the single dot vs one of the other three sight patterns, and the variable power levels work out great in full sun or dark of night. They do better when benched, about an inch less. These may not be super fancy and pricey red dots, but they do the job and they will not kill ya on replacement cost if you drop the rifle and wreck the red dot. Accidents do happen!

#29 ·
TRS-25. I've had mine on several guns over the past 3 years and it's perfect. Right now it's on a .375 Ruger. With it's 3 min. dot, put it on your AR and you are easily good for coyotes a bit beyond 200 yards. Nothing not to like about it and it's under a hundred bucks at many places now. The Vortex is twice the price, but why?

#31 ·
I know everyone has their favorite "bargain brand", but I have had good luck with IJK Optics. Most of their stuff is made in Eastern Europe, not China. I have had their WRDM4 copy of an Aimpoint M4 on my AR for some time and it has been flawless. It's built like a tank and even has a flash/reflection hider. Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the web page below to find it. Good luck.
http://www.ijksales.com/red_dots.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.