1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:20 PM

911 going to voicemail...??? NFW...???

Forget what ever you did you got bigger fish to fry now. I'd call the state public safety office or even the FCC if I were you cuz whatever you did is now quite minimal to the fact that a call to 911 went to voice mail. That or just how rural of an area do you live?

But now that I think of it... ya better tell us before you do any of that.

cmac
Old 06-09-2007, 11:32 PM

lol, you guys crack me up.. Take the foil hat's off your heads.. lol

What happened was NOT illegal and NO one got hurt. In fact.. It didn't even involve the firing of the gun. I never even got a chance to shoot the damn thing. I did call 911 and it did go to a (recording)... I had to act quickly so I hung up. (LA area)

I uploaded the pics to a hosted site and will do a full write up in the a.m. (with pics). I don't think what happened to me will save any lives by telling the story but it will sure make ya feel bad for me.

Talk to ya in the morning...
Old 06-09-2007, 11:33 PM

How long is this %#^*!!# goin ta mumble gripe etc. Hell, don't even want to know now. Buncha bovine cah cah growl & swear.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRising
What the hell is a "DROS" and why did it take you eleven days to do it?
DROS = Dealer Record Of Sale

It's required here in California...not sure about anywhere else
Once DROS is started you have to wait a minimum of 10 days to pick up the gun (background check etc). CA Law

Last edited by indetrucks; 06-10-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRising
What the hell is a "DROS" and why did it take you eleven days to do it?
Report of handgun sale in California
Chief7700

Colt M-1911 DOB 1918, SA TRP Operator full rail, Ruger P-85 9mm, Sig-228, Ruger 10-22
(SSSK), Ruger Red lable over/under 20ga, Winchester Model 57 .22 and a XL-650 to feed the .45ACPs and 9mms.
Steve McQueen "We deal in lead friend" The Magnificent Seven Cira 1960
Old 06-10-2007, 01:18 AM

my guess is that he dropped it from very high .... say his apt building .
Old 06-10-2007, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indetrucks
DROS = Dealer Record Of Sale

It's required here in California...not sure about anywheer else
Once DROS is started you have to wait a minimum of 10 days to pick up the gun (background check etc). CA Law

Well ****! At least we all know what DROS stand for. I figured it was something along that line. Although I am still confussed as hell as to what boneheaded act you may have done!
Old 06-10-2007, 03:09 AM

Too much hype now...ganna be a big let down
Old 06-10-2007, 03:29 AM

I'm guessing you left it on top of your car when you lft the gunhop and it went for a bobsled ride.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:04 AM

I am just responding to mark this thread.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:02 AM

Aw come on, can't be THAT bad... maybe he scratched it or something..

Edit: don't tell me you accidentally gave it to a friend or relative, and called 911 about firearm transfers..
Old 06-10-2007, 06:48 AM

I'll laugh my ass of if this turns out to be just another guy freaking out over the "idiot mark".
Yes, I realize that I'm named "Kimber4Ever." I was drunk, blackmailed, dared, paid by Kimber to do it, I had recently taken a blow to the head, yadda yadda yadda. Heckler & Koch, Baer, and Vang Comp, that's all I'm saying.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:51 AM

I'd guess the drama queen dropped it from on high to concrete, like from an upper-floor apartment balcony. Can't figure the 911 call, though.

Noah
Old 06-10-2007, 07:48 AM

The suspense is killing me!!

Luke
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

COTEP# CBOB0012
NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 06-10-2007, 09:15 AM

I vote that he should be baned from the site for wasting everyones time

Last edited by crash11049; 06-10-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 AM

Can you blow up a 1911 with the wrong ammunition? And now I think of it, I'd really like to know.

TIA

EAL
Old 06-10-2007, 09:20 AM

Unless the frame is totaled it can be fixed. My gunsmith is a wizard - let him have a go at it.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:22 AM

Here's the story, LONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMPSTRAT
I'm guessing you left it on top of your car when you lft the gunshop and it went for a bobsled ride.
This is about the closest guess thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarragher
Indetrucks, suck it up and tell the story! We all have all made mistakes. If it wasn't illegal or immoral, maybe someone can learn from it. if was one of the other two, stop posting! If you didn't want to share why did you start the thread? Why did you call 911?? Did someone get hurt? or was it a panic action.
Panic situation...
No it wasn't illegal but it could have been bad on many different levels.

You wanted it, Itís LONG so here ya go...

I decided to kill two birds with one stone... Go on an am Sat Motorcycle ride in the canyons and stop by the Gun shop on the way home to pick up the NIB 1911 that I just DROS'd. The shop was a good distance from my house and downtown traffic sucks so this was the best way for me to pick it up (or so I thought).

Since I was on my bike I brought a backpack. This is normally not a problem and is legal to transport a hand gun providing itís out of immediate reach and (obviously) not loaded or being transferred with ammo.

Everything goes fine, I pick it up and proceed to the freeway for the ride home. Here is when the $hit hits the fan.

There are correct ways to travel the freeway wearing a backpack and wrong ways when on a motorcycle (sportbike).

This is the correct way to zip up the backpack:

Note the zippers both situated at the bottom.

And then this is the wrong way:

I must have been excited to get home or just in a rush and totally didnít realize that I hade zipped it the (wrong way).
Iíll explain the simple physics: When sitting vertical and riding say "a Harley", it probably would have not mattered seeing as the wind would be blocked by my body at the higher freeway speeds. However I was on a sport bike and in a tucked position and when you are doing a high rate of speed in the carpool lane the wind gets moving pretty fast.

I was in the carpool lane near downtown (Google carpool if you are unfamiliar). It was two lanes and actually suspended above the rest of the freeway (those familiar with LA will know exactly where Iím talking about).
It looks like the picture above but with only one emergency lane to pull off.

So by now you can already guess what happenedÖ It wasnít gradual but all of a sudden, the wind must have caught the top flap of the back pack and it ripped open the zippers. I felt a sudden lightness on my back, reached around with one hand and NOOO! The backpack was wide effin open and no 1911. There were no cars immediately behind me so I knew it had hit the ground and not gone through some ones windshield/grill.

I was moving at a pretty high rate of speed so pulling off would have been a waste and itís not a good idea to attract that kind of attention running back against traffic with full leathers on searching for a gun.

I pull off at the next closest off ramp thinking Jesus ChristÖ thereís a gun on the freeway with my name on it! I fumble to my cell phone and call 911. Calling 911 was in my mind the best thing to do in this panic situation. It rings about 6 times and no answer! (Iím cursing out load at this point). I hear a recording saying how all operators are busy and to hang up if this is not a real emergency! Holy Hell!! I canít believe this! So I say eff it! I throw my helmet back on and double back to the scene of the crime (so to speak).

By the time I can get back UP on the carpool lane at least 10 minutes have passed. Iím riding pretty damn slow and getting honked at by ALL the LA drivers that are zooming by. I need to find this gun before someone else does!

Best case scenario Iím thinking is it dropped out and the green GI case it came so securely shipped in held up to the high speed drop and maybe just maybe a couple cars ran the case over with minimal damage. Then it happened, I see a piece of black foam! OMGÖ Now Iím thinking of the worse case, it completely grenaded on impact! And it did. To the left is the emergency pull off lane and the right lane is up against a wall/barrier. So I know I can pull off to the left and worse case dart across the 2 lanes and grab the 1911 if itís on that side. And guess what? It was! I see the shining 1911 one the very right side of the lane smashed up against the wall! I quickly pull over and see the green case (smashed up) along the left side of the emergency lane.

Luckily the carpool lane has less traffic then the rest of the freeway and it gave me a chance to dart across and stuff the GI back into my back pack. As Iím walking back to my bike (about 10 yards) I see the magazine and torn instructions near my rear tire. I pick those up, and as Iím doing so a fellow biker is pulling over to see if I need help with something.. I kindly wave him on, the last thing I wanted to do was tell him ďOh, Iím just picking up a gun, no biggyĒ.

I get home and have a few drinks to calm my nerves, tell my wife the story and slept on it thinking of the many ways it could have been A LOT worse.

The whole gun is dented, damaged, scratched, you name it.
The grips are gone, no where to be found (probably in tiny pieces).
The slide is very hard to pull back and gets stuck along the way
The magazine goes in about ľ way and stops (grip is completely tweaked)
Sites are shot and anything else you can think of.

Sorry for the poor quality of pics, I have one of those older cameras that is new to the computer world 

If you can resist, please no slander or flamingÖ Iím already bummed enough and just wanted to find out where to get a cheap replacement or what I should do with it at this point.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:23 AM

Two more pics for $hits and giggles that I already had uploaded but exceeded the 10 pic post limit.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:23 AM

Dang, that sucks dude. Live and learn I guess. We all make mistakes.

Last edited by Ironcross; 06-10-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:31 AM

On another note,
I understand running across the freeway was probably not very smart but considering the circumstances.. It was either that, or call 911 and have them shut down the whole road looking for some Idiots gun and having to explain myself.
I really just didn't want it to fall into the wrong hands (I had no idea the condition it was in).

However amazingly the hammer was still cocked back and thumb safety still engaged the way it was in the case from the shop! The hammer must have had a direct impact with the ground as it has a HUGE chink in it and ground down a bit. And amazingly it still stayed in the cocked position!

So again.. please don't flame me.. it was just $hitty circumstances and If I had zipped that backpack up correctly, it would have all been avoided.

I doubt anyone will learn anything from this other than how to zip up a backpack when riding a sport bike

Last edited by indetrucks; 06-14-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 AM

Wow, what a story! I feel your pain. Again, I would check with a "good" gunsmith. The frame may be not ruined and can be tweaked back into shape, but you'll need a gunsmith that can weld, not just a parts fitter. Mine can turn a hunk of steel into a pistol. Fixing your gun will cost lots of $$, so maybe in the long run buying a new one is the way to go. Please post again and let us know what you decide to do.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 AM

All I can say is............ Damn!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 AM

I vote for send it to Springfield and see if they will take mercy on you.
I would ask (beg) them to charge you for a replacment. They may take care of you.
Now the real question is have YOU learned anything?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:38 AM

call Springfield and see what they an do. You might be surprised.