1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:39 AM

One more thing.

If you could resurrect this "Phoenix" from the dead, you'll always remember the rocky start of it's life and will retell the story to all that will listen.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1899
I vote for send it to Springfield and see if they will take mercy on you.
I would ask (beg) them to charge you for a replacment. They may take care of you.
Now the real question is have YOU learned anything?
I was thinking of three options...
1) Emailing Springfield and showing them pics and a copy of the recipt indicating that it was brand new. Then crossing my fingers that something "magical would happen".
2)Turning it in to the local police at the next gun drive and maybe getting $50 -$100 for it.

3) Keeping it as proof of the story that I will remember for the rest of my life.

I learned that taking my time and thinking things through would have saved me this grief. I have been riding bikes for YEARS on streets and track. Also traveled with a backpack and KNEW about the corret zipper positioning. I don't know how I let it slip this time.
I WILL NEVER, DO THIS AGAIN

Thanks for the reply's guys, sorry it took so long and made ya wait. I was just in no mood to type this book last night and would have surely made a few spelling mistakes after the (few) drinks I put down.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:47 AM

Oh, and at least it was the (cheaper) GI model and not something in the four digit range!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:56 AM

Ummm..... well.... the story was worth the wait....
Sorry dude, thats a real bummer. That makes me, literally, sick. But in the grand scheme of things, its not a big deal. We all screw up, just remember that God always has a plan, and you never know, that gun could've been faulty and killed you or someone you love someday. Don't bum over it, just get yourself a new 1911 and move on.
Yes, I realize that I'm named "Kimber4Ever." I was drunk, blackmailed, dared, paid by Kimber to do it, I had recently taken a blow to the head, yadda yadda yadda. Heckler & Koch, Baer, and Vang Comp, that's all I'm saying.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:58 AM

Agree with Eagle, throw yourself on Springfield's mercy. If you come off sympathetic, they might well replace the gun at wholesale cost, which would be less than nearly anything else.

It is legal in the USA to send your gun to the manufacturer for repair or replacement. I do not know if the Schwartzenegger Reich allows this, but something can surely be worked out, even if you have to go through another ten day wait.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:00 AM

Damn you know how to screw up a perfectly good gun dont you. Hope your able to salvage your mistake, I think you will be surprised!
Old 06-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

I agree with the rest . Send it to Springfield . Call them . Don't waste time with email . The phone is much quicker . Give them the "short story" . They will issue a return authorization number . Send it in with your story . I'm betting that they will do more than you might guess .

No one got hurt . It was a good day after all .

Condition Yellow

We remember our friends Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Old 06-10-2007, 10:11 AM

Doesnt SA have a lifetime warranty?
Sorry, I had to say it.
That really sux. " I feel your pain".
Old 06-10-2007, 10:11 AM

Call Springfield. They may be able to help.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 AM

I have got an awesome set of tools. I can fix that.

Oh, I feel your pain. I have had a few stomach dropping moments in my life and it sounds like you just had one. Send it to Springfield and keep us updated.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:19 AM

I think the lesson to be learned is...buy a motorcycle with saddlebags! I wouldn't want to ride without mine. That and don't do 130mph on the freeway.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:21 AM

like thet said call springfield. had a new ss champion and was shooting it. or i should say double tapping it for speed. was using reloads from a gunshow, had a squib and didnt catch it and fired another round.it cracked the bull barrel from throat to muzzle and puffed it out. thank GOD it was a bull barrel. if it was a regular barrel i think bad things would have happened,long story short. i new springfield wouldnt cover it under warrenty. but they put a new bull barrel in it and of course tuned it up.they charged me 125 dollars complete, and that included return shipping. 125 bucks for all of that is a super deal IMHO. so springer will still treat ya right even if you are the one that pulls a bonehead
Old 06-10-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber4Ever
Ummm..... well.... the story was worth the wait....
Sorry dude, thats a real bummer. That makes me, literally, sick. But in the grand scheme of things, its not a big deal. We all screw up, just remember that God always has a plan, and you never know, that gun could've been faulty and killed you or someone you love someday. Don't bum over it, just get yourself a new 1911 and move on.
Ya know.. I was thinking the same thing during my sad ride home. There's a reason it fell out on that two lane part of the freeway as opposed to the 5 lane heavy congested part where it could have really hurt somebody.

I just really hate that feeling you get when something terrible happens.. It's almost like a dream and you want to wake up. Hard to describe... Almost like when you get in a car accident and start telling yourself "that didn't just happen".

I will call Springfield Monday and tell them my story (short version)... lol
Hell, maybe even give them a link to this thread

Thanks again for the support gents... and for not flaming me to death

Last edited by indetrucks; 06-10-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:28 AM

I'm sorry

I'm Sorry bro

I hope all turns out well

Let us all know what Springfield will do

Cheer up, you have friends here
Old 06-10-2007, 10:33 AM

nobody thinks bad about you. your story will just make more people aware of how they are transporting their gun and just double check to make sure its secure. sorry for your mishap and thanks for sharing it with us. maybe you can save somebody else a misfortune
Old 06-10-2007, 10:48 AM

Debbie from SA used to monitor this site, and occasionally post. SA may already know of your bad luck. Springfield is a good and understanding company. I would call them asap.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:52 AM

Location: Indiana, hope to retire to Alaska. My wife wants to retire to Belize.
Take it to a gunsmith.

The frame is bent, that will need to be replaced. The slide and barrel may be salvaged?

St Gabriel Possenti Patron Saint of Handgunners
Father John Corapi, "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!"
Old 06-10-2007, 10:53 AM

Really sorry for what happened, but wouldn't this make great PR for Springfield. I could write the commercal now. Put this story in all the Mags. with a happy ending could be a big plus.
NRA Life Member
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtian"
Old 06-10-2007, 12:22 PM

hmnmmm..

Tell Springfield it was shipped in the box like that and must have been damaged during shipping. ohh and then sob uncontrolablly on the phone and tell them you were going to use the gun to create world peace, and cure world hunger and global warming...
Kel-Tec P32 "Noisy Cricket"
Old 06-10-2007, 12:36 PM

Man! That's a real bummer! Like the others said, get in touch with the people at Springfield and see what help they can provide for you in this situation. As for the oops, I really have to say that I am just happy that there was nobody hurt in this incident involving a firearm. Better luck in the next go 'round!
SIG P229R
Swiss Arms Classic Green Carbine
Old 06-10-2007, 12:46 PM

Call springfield. Here are two stories for you, neither as tragic as yours.

Local cop leaves his pistol and badge in the bathroom stall at Walmart. Believe it or not the next guy in the stall who found it called the cops.

NCIS agent takes his pistol out of his holster before getting in his car and puts it on the roof of the car while he puts someother stuff in the car. Drives off with the gun still on the roof. Gets to where he is going, to see his boss, and realized what he had done. A homeless guy had found it and was sitting on the side of the road looking at. The agent gave the homeless guy $10 and drove off, fast.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

I'm jumping on the "Call Springfield" Bandwagon

Give them a call. The only thing left to loose is a call and some time.

It does suck, and I'm sorry to hear about the incident. However, I am grateful you found the gun and didn't get hit by a car running across the freeway.

If Springfield does not take mercy on you, I would recommend keeping the gun as a reminder. Not sure about anyone else here, but I tend to learn things the hard way. Doesn't get much harder that destroying a brand new gun.

Robert
Old 06-10-2007, 01:11 PM

Call Springfield.

Deb is good, she will take care of you.

The story was a good one and worth waiting for!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:11 PM

Only in California. So your new call sign will be Ghostrider, no?

Send it to Dillon. They're very good about replacing stuff that gets busted.

Disclaimer: I have done far worse. Very far worse.

Last edited by K9american; 06-10-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9american
Only in California. So your new call sign will be Ghostrider, no?

Send it to Dillon. They're very good about replacing stuff that gets busted.

Disclaimer: I have done far worse. Very far worse.
I'll give Deb a call, I assume she is in the customer service dept. ?
Who/what is Dillon? Someone that works at Springfield also?