1911Forum banner

Grades of ivory

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  GaryWWhite 
#1 · (Edited)
I have another question about Ivory, how is Ivory graded. What is considered the best grade? I have seen very white, and not as white with very visible grain.
These are the grips that I purchased.I really liked the look they have.
I know this is not an easy question, did some searching and did not find any good definitions on grading of Ivory.
Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I always thought the ivory with more grain was a higher grade than ivory with no grain. In not certain, though.

#5 ·
I found this on the Forum dated 2009.

This will explain..... The way I read is the grainer it is the high the higher the grade. The color also has a lot to do with it. Ivory can be highly polised also.
What it came from can also affect the price. Weather it be a 300year old creature or a 30 year old walrus....

This came from a website I found. This is very high end Ivory. http://www.nature-source.com/mammothivory.htm

A" GRADE - typical ivory with very little grain/figure (you have to look closely to see the grain
"AA" GRADE - fine ivory with some grain/figure on at least one side

"AAA" GRADE - fine ivory, beautiful grain/figure on both sides

"PRESENTATION" GRADE - the most stunning and beautiful ivory, very highly figured on both sides.

#6 ·
If it's Ivory I like it. My preference is solid white smooth grips. That is going to be the set I place on my black WC CQB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.