Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 05:57 PM

Had a HUGE accident with my 20minute old GI

*Update*
Accident on page 3
Range report on page 16

I don't post here much, just lurk the forums because I've wanted to add a 1911 to my collection

I decided on a Stainless Springer 1911 GI because I like it's simplicity and price.

I DROS'd it 11 days ago and picked it up today... Had possession of it for about 20 minutes until something terrible happened.
Well, let's just say I now have a worthless GI and wonder what you guys would do with something Un-fire able with your name on it (registered to you).
Can I turn it in somewhere (Police)? and maybe get cash for it? I heard sometimes they do the "don't ask don't tell" gun drives and they give you a few bucks for your gun.

Also, Where on line is the cheapest place to order another GI? I paid $540 OTD for it.

I'm still debating if I should tell the story or not, I'm a bit embarrassed and still a little shook up

Last edited by indetrucks; 10-01-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:59 PM

You have to tell. Its in the rules.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:01 PM

Please tell

Please tell

Was it a dremel tool, ruined feed ramp, over polishing etc

Please tell,

oh no, it was the dremel, I feel it

We could all learn something,
It might help someone

Last edited by sal1911A1; 06-09-2007 at 06:03 PM.

how bad are we talking???? you can always get a new frame, or slide or parts? I'd visit a gun smith and see what's salvageable if possible.

That or do ya own a cutting torch?

Location: Indiana, hope to retire to Alaska. My wife wants to retire to Belize.
Without getting into details, let me ask is the frame damaged? Is the slide damaged? Is the barrel damaged?

If one part is damaged, it could be replaced for less than the cost of a new gun. If two parts are damaged, then maybe a repair bill will equal the cost of a new gun. If all 3 are damaged then what the heck did you do?

St Gabriel Possenti Patron Saint of Handgunners
Father John Corapi, "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!"
Old 06-09-2007, 06:02 PM

Tell or don't tell. That's up to you. Perhaps there's a safety lesson that's reinforced to the community of Springfield owners at large that people would benefit from reading about what happened to render a stainless steel firearm unfireable and apparently unrepairable in a total of 20 minutes.

You could probably turn it in to a local police department for final destruction and documentation of the disposal if that was your end goal.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:03 PM

DUDE! How can we feel your pain if we don't hear the dirty-dirty?! You gotta hook us up!
Old 06-09-2007, 06:32 PM

No matter what you did, I've probably screwed up much, much worse. C'mon, TELL US!!!
Yes, I realize that I'm named "Kimber4Ever." I was drunk, blackmailed, dared, paid by Kimber to do it, I had recently taken a blow to the head, yadda yadda yadda. Heckler & Koch, Baer, and Vang Comp, that's all I'm saying.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

Squib!?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:57 PM

I had a probable double charge in mine. All it took was a new barrel and bushing.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:17 PM

Whatever you decide is up to you. But you'll not get an answer without folks knowing what the problem is.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:25 PM

I'm thinking a little to much powder perhaps? Fess up it's killing us!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 PM
MarkW

Unless you cut it in half it's probably repairable.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:13 PM

Springfield can fix it at a lower cost than a new one....unless....

what's the story?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:19 PM

Maybe he did cut it in half?

The two loudest sounds in the world are a click when you expect a bang, and a bang when you expect a click.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:21 PM

Tell us so we can learn from your mistake,save someone else the misfortune of doing the samething to their gun!

How bad can it be? Unless you blew it up it can probably be fixed.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber4Ever
No matter what you did, I've probably screwed up much, much worse. C'mon, TELL US!!!
I assure you... I have done probably something that would break all your hearts.. All I know is after I realized what had happened.. My heart sank and I Physically "$hit" myself.. yes, It was that bad.

No one got hurt, but I did end up calling 911 because I freaked SO bad. To my luck, that call went to voice mail.. (I kid you not) Again, I am not a noob when it comes to guns.. I just made a bonehead move and a few of you may/may not learn from this mistake.

I'll tell ya what, I'll take pics and let you take guesses as to what happened. I told my wife about it but no one else. And at this moment a couple buddies are over and I don't want to bust out the camera (too embarrassed to tell them).

But on another note, Where is the best place to buy a GI model for around what I paid OTD $540 (Stainless Version)

Last edited by indetrucks; 06-10-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:10 PM

Indetrucks, suck it up and tell the story! We all have all made mistakes. If it wasn't illegal or immoral, maybe someone can learn from it. if was one of the other two, stop posting! If you didn't want to share why did you start the thread? Why did you call 911?? Did someone get hurt? or was it a panic action.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:59 PM

Dude, nobody's here to judge you. If you had a huge f*** up, and apparently you have, nobody'll be laughing at you. The info you tell us, if you decide to, could save one of our lives. My grandpa shot a 12 gague hole in his truck, one guy I used to know shot a hole in his foot 3 TIMES on 3 different days, my uncle shot a hole in his roof, a friend shot a hole in his $2,500 laptop, and the vice president of the USA shot his best buddy IN THE FACE! We all screw up. We all do. But the reason we all waste our lives on a website about guns is so we can all learn from each other, and not make the same dumb mistakes that others have. And trust me, it wont be anything most of us haven't seen before.
Yes, I realize that I'm named "Kimber4Ever." I was drunk, blackmailed, dared, paid by Kimber to do it, I had recently taken a blow to the head, yadda yadda yadda. Heckler & Koch, Baer, and Vang Comp, that's all I'm saying.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber4Ever
Dude, nobody's here to judge you. If you had a huge f*** up, and apparently you have, nobody'll be laughing at you. The info you tell us, if you decide to, could save one of our lives.
I agree with the info being handy for avoidance by others but forums are definitely a place where people will talk crap to/about you. There are a lot of judgmental pricks in all forums. If you have thick skin and donít mind a little flack then please do tell.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:48 PM

I'm not accusing but since he's a newbie, could this be a troll? What could be so bad that you can't share with strangers?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Administrator

I don't want to know . The suspense killed me .

Condition Yellow

We remember our friends Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Old 06-09-2007, 11:15 PM

Guy. RIP
Old 06-09-2007, 11:19 PM

What the hell is a "DROS" and why did it take you eleven days to do it?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
What the hell is a "DROS" and why did it take you eleven days to do it?
Did I miss something?

The two loudest sounds in the world are a click when you expect a bang, and a bang when you expect a click.
Closed Thread