Issues Standard Remington 1911R1, magazines???? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-21-2016, 09:28 AM

Issues Standard Remington 1911R1, magazines????

Hello 1911 people!!!
After a range day, and after cleaning my Remington 1911R1:
As I had said before, the pistol is very accurate (2 to 3inches groups 25yds), when I do my part. My eyes are not the ones I used to have at 20, but I try to see very clear the front post and the rear sight, giving up "clear view" on the target.
I had a rate of 4% FTF issues today at the range, ammo was Magtech factory load 230grains FMJ (I shot 25 Magtech). With Winchester white box 230grains FMJ and FM (Fabricaciones Militares) 230grains ball ammo FMJ the issues did´nt show up!!!!
I shot a total of 50 factory rounds fired, my gun has now 269 rounds through it, bought it new in Dicember 2015, I think it is still in "breaking in" period????
The FTF happened with the 2 original supplied magazines from Remington (7 rounds each) and always in the sixth round before the seventh, the issue is FTF the sixth round in the chamber, it happens when the seventh round is coming out from thre magazine and pushes up the sixth round up that is trying to get in the barrel chamber.
I will apreciate some experienced 1911 member advice!!!.....Alternative magazines?????......
Best Regards
Roberto Renauld
Old 05-21-2016, 09:41 AM
Banned

Roberto

Greetings from the US.

Your issues could be magazine related. Take all of your mags, stuff them full and let them set overnight.

Many mag related failures will disappear once the mag springs have taken a set. They'll be easier to load, rounds will strip off them much easier and chances are you pistol will run fine afterwards.

Does the gun run fine with any other mags that you've tried???

Obviously the gun needs to be wet. Not to belabor that point but many first time 1911 shooters do not adequately lube their guns. Make sure the rails, the barrel/slide lugs and bushing are all well lubed.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:08 PM

I higihly dislike the Remington-supplied magazines and replaced mine with Checkmate that have (this is very important) GI feed lips. I feed Federal hollowpoints of various types with no issues.

Tom
1918 Colt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016, 01:53 PM

Funny how things are. I have four R1 magazines which have been excellent.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Roberto

Greetings from the US.

Your issues could be magazine related. Take all of your mags, stuff them full and let them set overnight.

Many mag related failures will disappear once the mag springs have taken a set. They'll be easier to load, rounds will strip off them much easier and chances are you pistol will run fine afterwards.

Does the gun run fine with any other mags that you've tried???

Obviously the gun needs to be wet. Not to belabor that point but many first time 1911 shooters do not adequately lube their guns. Make sure the rails, the barrel/slide lugs and bushing are all well lubed.
[QUOTE=TRSOtto;7104649]Roberto
Dear Sir:
Thank you for your quick response your advice is very helpful!!, I just stuffed full the 2 Remington supplied magazines with 7 rounds each, and let them set overnight, then I will be emptying them and full-filling them again all the days during this week till Friday, this day I shall be at the range shooting more 230grains FMJ factory ammo.
Unfortunately I have these 2 Remington supplied magazines, nevertheless and I will try to see if my "Sistema Colt Model 1927" GI 7 round magazines are compatible with the Remington R1???????....
My barrel/slide lugs are not well lubed!!!! (I use Hoppes gun oil),I shall lube them thouroughly !!!!.....
Greetings from Argentina
Regards
Roberto Renauld
Old 05-21-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
I higihly dislike the Remington-supplied magazines and replaced mine with Checkmate that have (this is very important) GI feed lips. I feed Federal hollowpoints of various types with no issues.

Tom
Dear Sir:
Thank you for your advice, I shall be looking for a Checkmate 7 rounds with GI feed lips magazine in my Country!!!....
It is not very easy to get quality gun parts here in my Country, however I know there are other brands too, but as you say I will be focusing in the GI feed lips.
By the way I have some "Sistema Colt Model 1927" GI issue 7 rounds magazine that may fit in the Remington R1?????..
Best Regards
Roberto Renauld
Old 05-21-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
Funny how things are. I have four R1 magazines which have been excellent.
Dear Sir:
I must admit that some original factory made Remington magazines can be reliable, but this is not my case.
However my spring magazines might have not taken a set yet, I must keep on shooting till they set, or try another magazine type/ brand
Best Regards
Roberto Renauld
Old 05-21-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertorenauld52 View Post
By the way I have some "Sistema Colt Model 1927" GI issue 7 rounds magazine that may fit in the Remington R1?????..
yes they will

Quote:
and always in the sixth round before the seventh, the issue is FTF the sixth round in the chamber, it happens when the seventh round is coming out from thre magazine and pushes up the sixth round up that is trying to get in the barrel chamber.
sounds like an inertia feed .
last rnd is slipping out of the mag before it should

..interesting it happens with Magtec only

Don't know who makes Rem's mags.
If they're 7 rnd mags, I'm going to "guess" they're Checkmate made with hybrid feed lips .
and inertia feeds aren't uncommon with them from my experience

..L.T.A.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:12 PM

Mec-Gar, I think.

Tom
1918 Colt
Old 05-21-2016, 05:04 PM

Dear Mr "Cappi";
Yes I think it is a "double feed on the next to last round·.The factory supplied magazines are 7 round capacity. I will try with some "Sistema Colt Modelo 1927" 7 round GI magazines next Friday at the range!!!
We will keep in touch!
Thank you
Regards
Roberto Renauld
Old 05-21-2016, 06:11 PM

I would first try to use the magazines you have. Sometimes these type of FTF are caused by oily magazines that collects burnt powder residue that takes strength away from the spring due to the resistance; your magazines should be clean without any oil or grease; this will allow the spring to work at it's strongest. Many magazines come with oil inside to prevent rusting, but it all needs to be removed. I would take your magazines apart and clean them. If the problem persists, you might want to try some stronger magazine springs.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:46 PM

It's the mags trust me. I have the same problem with mine. I used my KimPro tac mags and all was fine. Not one failure out of a couple hundred rounds, then tried the Remington mags and Bingo failure.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2016, 09:08 PM

Before you spend any money, I would also put some more rounds through your gun. A good average to break-in a 1911 is about 500 rounds. I found this forum post where the poster had the same issue with the same gun as yours and it pretty much corrected itself with a longer break-in. http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/1911-...-problems.html
Old 05-22-2016, 08:06 AM

Setting in magazines springs!!!!!...

Dear Sir:
Thanks for the advice!!!. I am full-filling the two original 7 round magazines supplied by Remington (they are very clean and not oily) and keeping them full-filled overnight and alternatively taking all the ammo from them the next day, doing this till next Friday when I will be with my son at the range again, we will see whats up.
Furthermore we will be trying 3 three GI magazines from my "Sistema Colt Modelo 1927" "pistola" (they fit OK in the Remington R1, I have tried this!!!! at home )
Best Regards
Roberto Renauld

Quote:
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
I would first try to use the magazines you have. Sometimes these type of FTF are caused by oily magazines that collects burnt powder residue that takes strength away from the spring due to the resistance; your magazines should be clean without any oil or grease; this will allow the spring to work at it's strongest. Many magazines come with oil inside to prevent rusting, but it all needs to be removed. I would take your magazines apart and clean them. If the problem persists, you might want to try some stronger magazine springs.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:17 AM

Thanks for quick response!!!, next Friday I will be trying other 3 magazines GI that fit my Remington R1 that belong to my "Sistema Colt Modelo 1927" "pistola" Military issued 11,25mm (45ACP), a very well made gun (all forged and machined steel parts) with Colt´s Mfg License by " Direccion General de Fabricaciones Militares DGFM-Fabrica Militarde Armas Portátiless-FMAP" near Paraná City in Rosario Argentina mine was made around 1949.
Best Regards
Roberto Renauld
Old 05-22-2016, 08:22 AM

Yes I think we are still in the breaking in period, I have fired only 269 rounds through the "Remmie" we are not even close to 500rounds, we are at the middle of the road!!! we will make this new "trying to solve clues/modifications fully" and see what shows off!!!
Best Regards
Roberto Renauld