Thumb Safety Question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-21-2016, 11:19 AM

Thumb Safety Question

Any Reason a Kimber Ambi Safety wouldn't work on a Colt? Should I go with another brand? TIA
Old 05-21-2016, 12:53 PM

New in box part, right? With the possibility a little filing (or a lot in some cases) may be required. A used part might require the lug to be welded and filed down to fit.

Other brands, Wilson Combat Bulletproof is top notch. EGW, Harrison Design and many others. I have had good luck with both Ed Brown and Fusion parts, too.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator89 View Post
New in box part, right? With the possibility a little filing (or a lot in some cases) may be required. A used part might require the lug to be welded and filed down to fit.

Other brands, Wilson Combat Bulletproof is top notch. EGW, Harrison Design and many others. I have had good luck with both Ed Brown and Fusion parts, too.
Thanks Gator, Yes it would be a new part. I'm looking at buying a Commander and will need to add an ambi since I'm a lefty. Noticed Kimber offered one that doesn't have the arm so no need to change grips.
Still shopping around, so thought I'd ask in case I needed to buy grips as well.

Thanks Again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911edc View Post
Thanks Gator, Yes it would be a new part. I'm looking at buying a Commander and will need to add an ambi since I'm a lefty. Noticed Kimber offered one that doesn't have the arm so no need to change grips.
Still shopping around, so thought I'd ask in case I needed to buy grips as well.

Thanks Again
You still may have to provide some "relief" on the rear upper corner of the grip. But, if you can fit a safety, you can sand a bit off the back of the grip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gator89; 05-21-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911edc View Post
Any Reason a Kimber Ambi Safety wouldn't work on a Colt? Should I go with another brand? TIA
It should work. I just put a Kimber ambi safety on my Remington R1. That's the reason I bought the Kimber safety so I don't have to buy new grips to accommodate that ear that sticks out.

I also bought that 10-8 armourers block to fit the safety in so you can file it square

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited by mpulford311; 05-21-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:50 PM

Buy new grips? It's about a 5 minute job with a chisel and or an Xacto knife.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemaury View Post
Buy new grips? It's about a 5 minute job with a chisel and or an Xacto knife.
Lol. Unless you can make it look factory. Hell while your at it why don't you use channellocks and a hammer.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2016, 02:28 AM

The Kimber safety will work and is pinned, meaning it doesn't have the tab that goes under the grip and they are MIM. EGW and Wilson also make pinned safety's, they are much nicer but cost quite a bit more but are made from solid steel.