Training targets -which ones? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-01-2014, 10:35 AM

Training targets -which ones?

I've been using the idpa kind for training at the range. another member was using a very dark Silhouette ,claiming it gives him a more"realistic" training environment.
any opinions?
NHC -PRESIDENT
NHC- 2x BOB MARVEL-STD, & RECON.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:51 PM

Try looking at law enforcement targets.com (letargets.com) They have a wide selection of just about anything you can think of. I like to mix up my targets. You have to order 50 to 100 to get the best prices. I ordered a 100 of the same target couple of months ago for $50 including shipping.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:16 PM

NRA B-8 repair centers are quite usefully. A string of 25 yard fire concentrating on the fundamentals every range session is an excellent skill builder.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:42 PM

Thank you guys.
NHC -PRESIDENT
NHC- 2x BOB MARVEL-STD, & RECON.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:47 PM

The main purpose behind anatomy targets is to give you an idea of what it may be like to shoot at a bad guy. And generally holes don't show on dark targets so you can't look for your hits. And vitals scoring lines are not visible beyond 7 yards.

If you really want to make your IDPA targets challenging, try covering them with a t-shirt and add a face... Bad guys were clothes and have eyes...

But all targets can be useful, it just happens to be for different things.

And my feeling that paper targets are just too static and unrealistic has led me to design a steel target that is covered with a t-shirt and requires multiple hits to multiple strike zones to knock it down.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:49 AM

I like to use any old backing with 2" pieces of 2" blue masking tape. Aim small, miss small.