1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I had set-up my Dillon 1050 to reload some .45acp rounds… the toolhead was fully set from the last reloading session last spring (I usually load a year’s worth of ammo) – but I kept trying to get the powder throw to dial in for 3.1 gr of Clay’s and no matter what I tried, I kept getting a wide range of powder throw’s from 1.9gr to 3.2gr and everywhere in between.

Normally, when I am setting up for a certain caliber/bullet combo I’ll throw 10 charges and weigh each to get an average… as I weigh each throw, I have my powder container on the bench (only powder container is the one I’m using for that session) and I set a funnel into the can so I’m sure to get the powder from each case into the can and to keep debris from falling into the can (the tiny funnel hole should keep out any debris or changes in humidity… I thought).

After throwing over 100 powder charges, I could never get any consistency between throws (I checked all linkages – check, I made sure the powder hopper was topped off with powder - check, I checked everything I could think of – check)… always the charges were ranging between 1.9gr-3.2gr – never the same thing twice. I finally got so fed up with it, I decided to tear it down and do a caliber changeover to load 9mm’s for awhile…

While I was tearing down the press from loading .45’s, I dumped out the powder from the powder measure and worked the mechanism several times to get out the last bit of powder… I’ll be danged if I didn’t have two dead light bugs (like small locusts critters) fall out of the powder hopper funnel.

Apparently, the can of powder I had sitting on the bench that I would use to dump the powder from cases while I measured/tweaked for a specific powder charge sat there long enough for a couple of bugs to be attracted to the bench light overhead… they fell into the powder funnel and ended up in my can of powder. When I went to refill the powder hopper, the bugs went along for the ride and created just enough blockage in the powder throw to allow varying amounts of powder to get measured and blocked the rest.

I was about to pull my hair out trying to figure out why I wasn’t able to get consistent powder throws – just goes to show you, the little details can cause a lot of frustration when you reload!

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
You could have used those rounds for your back up gun!!!!(BUG):biglaugh:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Glad you found the problem pretty quick, that kind of thing can make one crazy for a while.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Bugs can drive you crazy.
Back in the old days when electronics were getting started, that was where the term bugs in the system came from.
Bugs would get on an electronic board and short it out.There is another term noted for electronic "chips" that are installed upside down in a sock called "Dead Bug ".

So bugs have played a big part in electronics and now reloading...I guess they are here to stay and BUG us..!!!!

I hate when that happens. I use to work late into the night trying to fix some electronic board and it was because of a dead bug stuck on the board.

Keep an eye on them dang bugs...

Don2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts