1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought home a new 01918, and was just offered a 01911
what is the difference between the two? I looked at the pics of the "blue 1911" and it looks just like my "black 1918" is there a difference? I cant tell,
All I knoe is that the blue one 1911, is #1042 and they guy wants 950 shipped, Am i missing something here?
Thanks for your imput!
PB

·
Registered
72 Posts
The military Colts of 1918 were finished in shiny black, rather than blue or parkerized. I think it is referred to as "Army Black".

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
They were not a shiny black. They were a very dull, dark brushed blue.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a ww1 1911 in my hands today, and I didnt buy it,,,,, It was new and fresh, and if it was more blue, I may have taken it home,, I will keep the 1918 black and be happy! Besides, I picked up a 1952 lwt commander instead that I am very happy with!
PB

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had a ww1 1911 in my hands today, and I didnt buy it,,,,, It was new and fresh, and if it was more blue, I may have taken it home,, I will keep the 1918 black and be happy! Besides, I picked up a 1952 lwt commander instead that I am very happy with!
PB
HEY PB how was the fit and finnish on the 01911. and by the SN# it's the 42 made, colt start at 1000. I THINK I would have bought the 01911 if it was NEW IN BOX, YOU will have timeto buy the 01918... IMOP

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just picked up my O1918 (#1034) and there's virtually no difference between the finish on it and my O1911.

:confused: but still :)

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
Yes they did. Also, by the time of the Black Army models they were no longer JMG inspected, but instead had a simple Springfield Armory acceptance stamp on the left side of the frame.

I don't think Colt was purposely trying to re-create a Black Army. They simply wanted to blue them in-house which meant using a standard black oxide finish. Real Black Armys were still furnace-blued like the earlier guns, but the surface prep was a lot more crude so they came out looking rough and black in color.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't think Colt was purposely trying to re-create a Black Army. They simply wanted to blue them in-house which meant using a standard black oxide finish.
Absolutely +100. All Colt had to do was two minor changes to have an authentic "Black Army" but as usual they are one step behind.

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
Actually, I don't understand the "mystique", as it were, of the Black Army models. They were the single most common M1911 variation, making up nearly half of all the .45's produced during WW1. Yet for some reason there are folks out there talking about them as if they are some sort of rare and highly desireable model. The only thing "rare" about a Black Army is finding one that still has mostly intact original finish, as the bluing has long since flaked off or turned brown on the vast majority of the ones still out there. My Black Army is in perfect mechanical condition, having apparently been fired very little. However it looks like a mangey mutt, with intact bluing in some areas and brown patches all over others.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only thing "rare" about a Black Army is finding one that still has mostly intact original finish, as the bluing has long since flaked off or turned brown on the vast majority of the ones still out there.
I agree 100%. That is the precise reason it would have been great for the Model O1918 to have been a Black Army repro IMO. I own the O1911 and the difference is so subtle that I won't be buying the O1918. By making small changes to the O1918 I would have bought one on the spot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts