1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Colt model 01970A1CS, "Government Model, Series 70" with slide marked "Colt's Mk IV/Series 70, Government Model, 45 Automatic Caliber," was it from the factory with a match barrel? ...or, how can you tell?

On my Kimber's and Dan Wesson 1911s, "match" is stamped right on the barrel in the chamber area exposed by the ejection port. Honestly, I've always thought it was a bit of marketing hype. I mean, I know some barrels are better than others, but there isn't some internationally accepted measurement for "match barrel," is there? Each gunmaker and/or barrel manufacturer can use whatever criteria they want, right?

Anyway, if anyone knows how they shipped from the factory and/or how to tell from the outside, I'd appreciate the help.

Product Blue Rectangle Packing materials Office supplies
Audio equipment Carton Material property Packaging and labeling Box

• Love
Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of "match grade" barrels.
Not so many "match WINNING grade" barrels.

What match are you going to shoot with any of those guns?
That's kind of my point, I just thinking it's marketing BS. Anybody can put "match" on a barrel or even "match plus" or "super match." Unless there's an agreed upon standard, what does it mean?

In this case, I am trying to sell this gun on GunBroker and a prospective buyer asked "is this a match grade barrel?" As I wrote above, it says so on some other pistols I have, but I am wondering if this is stamped on the shroud or if it is/isn't Colt's version of "match grade," whatever that means.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of the Colt's I have with the Colt "match grade" barrel are marked as such, i.e. marked with the "N.M." stamping near after the caliber on the barrel hood.
--snip--
Awesome. Thank you very much. I will check, but I am sure you're correct it is not "NM." I really appreciate your taking the time for the pic.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
--snip--
BTW, regarding your auction if you want to generate more interest (i.e. $$$) you might want to take it out of the plastic baggie for a few pics. You might think it has never been out of the plastic, but it has to have been because both mags are on the outside.
I think that's good advice. Unfortunately, I am now in a different city and state from where the gun is located. I'll try to get my nephew to do it tomorrow, just using his phone.

One prospective buyer also pointed out (with a pic to prove it) that some of this production run had an issue where the plunger groove is not really centered. Obviously, 16+ years later, Colt is not going to fix that. So, I kind of resigned to taking it out of the bag anyway as we need to check for that error.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Can you pm me the links?
I'll just brazenly do so in public:
The O1911: <deleted>
The Series 70: <deleted>

I figure this is a legit thread started with a legit question. People post links to GB all the time, including some of the mods, and so this should be okay deeply embedded in the discussion.

As @dsk (a mod no less!) suggested, I will try to get my nephew to take some new pics with the pistol out of the plastic wrap. I'll ping this thread when they are up.

Cheers,

Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@BLikeYork

There are many threads where the subject is a GunBroker auction, including some started by mods. For example, a recent thread about somebody trying to pass off a reissue for a period original. Other times, like the big SA-35 launch thread, there are auctions linked discussing the pricing.

My interpretation is one can't start a thread for the sole purpose of listing their auction. I didn't. I had a legit question and there's been much back and forth. I only provided the link after asked to do so. If they disagree, they can delete the post or ask me to delete it, or whatever, and discipline me appropriately.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
--snip--
Also, you error when you assume someone quoting policy “can’t stand” a post … it is possible to be indifferent but yet point out standing policy IMHO
--snip--
Your interpretation may prove correct. If you want me to remove the links, I will.

Where did I write "can't stand" or imply I thought you were personally offended or aggrieved by my action? I re-read what I wrote, but I don't see it.

Writing is two-dimensional, so a reader can impute emotion or infer an attitude never intended by the author. I thought my response to your question/comment was a reasonable, level-headed explanation of my thinking. If you took it otherwise, I apologize as I never intended to belittle or condescend to your comment.

Yes, I am selling a several items. I work overseas. If I decide to sell something, the only time I can do it is while I am in the US, like now. Many of the items I am selling are from my uncle's estate. Otherwise, I am trying to raise money for a specific purpose. If you looked into my history, you'd see the previous time I sold anything was in 2007. I'm not a commercial seller, I don't make my living buying and selling, and, unlike others, I don't resort to chicanery or deceptive descriptions to jack up prices.

I've been a member on this forum since 2001. I've been much more active since the Summer commenting in numerous threads about a wide variety of topics.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine have NM on the barrel. Are you going to shoot in a match with a stock gun?
No, I was trying to answer the question of a prospective buyer. Now, if I can just get my nephew to answer his phone...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts