1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 1 1/2 inch P2. Noticed the slide is much smoother than my other Baers. 300ish rds down the pipe and have no problem racking the slide. Some of my other Baers, I still have trouble racking the slide back after 500 rds. Heard some say all 1 1/2 Baers slides are all that way.

Is it true?

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe my 2 other Baers are just built extra tight. When I got them brand new, I had to use all my str just to rack it back. But the 1.5 was quite smooth from day 1. Heard from some dude that said all 1.5s are like that. Easier to rack.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
My 1.5" UTC and regular TRS feel the same when racking them. They're both extremely tight and smooth as glass. However, I do feel a little difference when shooting them. The way the slide feels when the gun fires is just a little smoother on the 1.5" UTC. I can't say it's definitely because of the 1.5" option, though. It very well could just be because the guns are hand-fitted, and because of that, every Les Baer is going to have a different feel. That's one of the beauties Les Baer pistols. There is no doubt they each have their own personality.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I always had a theory that when Baer took guns out to test fire if certain ones were a little more accurate he just decided on the spot that he could get an extra $300 for them. ;)

·
Registered
700 Posts
I always had a theory that when Baer took guns out to test fire if certain ones were a little more accurate he just decided on the spot that he could get an extra $300 for them. ;)
If that were true, that would mean that he would have to test fire unfinished pistols. Think about it... if someone specifies an ambi safety, all kinds of serrations, ambi safeties, sights, trigger styles, magwells, maybe different calibers... heck, monoliths have entirely different frames altogether.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have only one Baer an 1 1/2" CC 5". I can't compare it to the 3" except when I've handled guns in a LGS.
My CC felt smoother and racked more easily than the others I handled, right out of the cardboard box. And by 500 rds it was smooth like ball bearings.
Now when I shoot it I don't even feel the slide action, it's so fast and tight. I can feel the difference vs my SA TRP, which is also a great gun.
I don't know how much more the 1 1/2" is fitted and worked in the shop, but I sure like the result.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
According to some folks that should know, after years of hearing people b!tch and complain, Les doesn't fit his pistols as "tight" as he once did.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Although that could be true, the last two PII's I've handled were every bit as tight as older ones. Two is definitely not a representative sample, so I can't offer any more than that, but they were TIGHT, and they were built in the past two months.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hey BMFDez,
For years, many folks have said that the 1 1/2" guns are smoother out of the box. I own both and have handled more and can't say that I notice that much of a difference, so maybe it's just mind over matter. The truth is, though, my 3.0" pistols from Baer have just about all shot as well as my 1.5" guarentee pistols with the right loads, so I don't really pay attention to the guarantee anyway. If Rob of Alchemy is reading, maybe he can shed some light on this. You can be sure of this, though.....any Baer is going to shoot "lights out" with a load that it likes. This is a good enough reason to get into hand-loading aside from the fact that you can tune the load to the task at hand. Best of luck to you brother......and Merry Christmas All!

·
Banned
134 Posts
I have a SRP purchased last year and new mono HW both with 1.5 2500 + rds threw SRP and 400 threw Mono. the SRP is much tighter then Mono, Mono is more accurate. go figure !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new on here. I love this, I own a p2 tactical package. the finest 1911 I have ever owned in 32 years. I have heard that the main difference in the 1.5" option has is inside the barrel cut. Im not sure and I don't want to say it wrong but I believe those barrels are cut with fresh tools that are ever so slightly better.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Back in the old days, 3" guns used to sport Kart "easy fit" barrels, and 1.5" guns got a hard fit gunsmith fit barrel. To me, there should be a distinct difference between guarantee guns and standard guns. Over the years, the clientele at Baer has become much more diverse. A lot more guys buy a Baer that don't know what they're getting into, and don't understand a hard fit barrel philosophy. I saw many guns sent back because the customer said the gun wasn't right because he couldn't break the slide out of battery with one hand. Les found himself in a situation where he had to cater to a more diverse shooting population and made the decision to ease the lockup slightly. As with all hand fit guns...and there aren't very many of them out there, they can vary quite a bit from gun to gun.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a SRP purchased last year and new mono HW both with 1.5 2500 + rds threw SRP and 400 threw Mono. the SRP is much tighter then Mono, Mono is more accurate. go figure !!
Ya my SRP is TIGHT! I still have a hard time racking it with 1 hand. I have to set it real good for it to slide back. If not, I have to clutch it in the most awkward position to try and rack the slide back. For that reason, I don't rack my gun with a loaded mag. I rack, lock, then drop to load. Don't wanna shoot myself in the armpit or some innocent bystander trying to rack the slide in my awkward positions lol.

I still love my SRP though lol.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
According to some folks that should know, after years of hearing people b!tch and complain, Les doesn't fit his pistols as "tight" as he once did.

Back in the old days, 3" guns used to sport Kart "easy fit" barrels, and 1.5" guns got a hard fit gunsmith fit barrel. To me, there should be a distinct difference between guarantee guns and standard guns. Over the years, the clientele at Baer has become much more diverse. A lot more guys buy a Baer that don't know what they're getting into, and don't understand a hard fit barrel philosophy. I saw many guns sent back because the customer said the gun wasn't right because he couldn't break the slide out of battery with one hand. Les found himself in a situation where he had to cater to a more diverse shooting population and made the decision to ease the lockup slightly. As with all hand fit guns...and there aren't very many of them out there, they can vary quite a bit from gun to gun.

Seems like "somebody" knew what the hell they were talking about!.......shocking........

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just want to say… I really appreciate the insight both Rob and Jim provide on the Baer topics. These guy’s are doing their own thing, and very well, but still take the time to comment on these topics.
I would hazard to guess that these two have had a positive impact on the popularity the Baer pistols enjoy; so thanks Rob and Jim, and Merry X-mas!

Back in the old days, 3” guns used to sport Kart “easy fit” barrels, and 1.5” guns got a hard fit gunsmith fit barrel. To me, there should be a distinct difference between guarantee guns and standard guns. Over the years, the clientele at Baer has become much more diverse. A lot more guys buy a Baer that don't know what they're getting into, and don't understand a hard fit barrel philosophy. I saw many guns sent back because the customer said the gun wasn't right because he couldn't break the slide out of battery with one hand. Les found himself in a situation where he had to cater to a more diverse shooting population and made the decision to ease the lockup slightly. As with all hand fit guns...and there aren't very many of them out there, they can vary quite a bit from gun to gun.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So, is that still true as far as "easy fit" barrels or do they all have the same barrels now? Just curious after reading that post...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts