1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was too embarassed to call and ask so i will post it here. Can you parkerize a Stainless steel gun? I was looking at Robars site and they have sometihng called Black stainless steel but it didnt say what thier parkerizing could be done to as far as finish goes. thanks! (oaky, back to sleep i go!)

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I don’t really know why you would want to parkerize a stainless steel pistol. If you want a matte finish, it can be bead blasted. If you want corrosion resistance, stainless steel is already resistant to corrosion.

I have a Remington 700 that has a black Teflon coating over stainless steel. If that is what you’re looking for, I would imagine someone out there does it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Patrick Sweeney's book, Gunsmithing: Pistols and Revolvers - if I have that title right - has a section that reviews quite a few finish options, even including which finishes can and can't be used on which frame materials. You might want to consult that resource for ideas on what will and won't go on stainless steel.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Not sure about parkerizing,but we did black oxide many stainless parts where I used to work.Looked OK but never as black as you would want it to be and any scuffs or scratches made them look awful. Have it Teflon coated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for thier assitance with this. Rosco, do you know anything about Robar's blackening as far as scratch resistance, etc. Again, thanks to everyone.

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Robar's chrome sulfide stainless blackening wears about like bluing does on carbon steel. It'll definately show holster wear and so forth. Of course, the "bright" spots won't rust easily, being stainless.

Rosco

1 - 7 of 7 Posts