1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a 10-8 rear and a 10-8 brass bead front sight on my Les Baer Custom Carry. Getting the old sights off was the worst part, these suckers were tight. Drilled out the front roll pin and beat them out. Now for the install, rear sight pushes all the way through with my thumb. It is snug but I can go from one side to the other with just my thumb pushing. Front sight is a little tighter, I can push it almost to center with my thumb then a very light tap from the hammer using a scrap piece of kydex as a punch finished it off. I did not sand or file either sight, opened out of the pack and installed. I did go ahead and put loctite on the front and install the roll pin so maybe it will be good. What about the back? Should I try to shim it to tighten, if so using what? Should I loctite the sight in and depend on the allen screw to hold it? After seeing how tight the factory sights were I was very surprised by the loose fit of the 10-8's. Maybe this is how they are meant to fit, first time I've done sights so I'm not sure. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, I suppose you could gently tap down the overhang on the sight cuts to try tightening things up a bit. Operative word: gently. Try, fit, try, fit, try fit.

Does anybody know if Baer machines their sight cuts with a taper?

·
Registered
131 Posts
unless there is a huge gap at the bottom of the dovetail, or a huge gap between the sights and the slide, u should thank your lucky stars that you can move it by hand. :)

The set screw should enough to hold it in. snug it up with a little blue loctite and you should be GTG

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I will test fire today to check POA/POI then set them back in with loctite. If they ever move I will try shimming I guess.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
unless there is a huge gap at the bottom of the dovetail, or a huge gap between the sights and the slide, u should thank your lucky stars that you can move it by hand. :)

The set screw should enough to hold it in. snug it up with a little blue loctite and you should be GTG
Setting the screw will raise the sight up and there will be gap.

You can peen the rear shelf of the rear dovetail down in the center and peen the rear sight itself. This will tighten it up some and not show any signs of the peening.

The front sight will only need a slight peening. A auto center punch should do the trick.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with peening the front and rear sight. The front sight will probably only need peening on one side of the sight, but do both sides for the rear. In my opinon, you want it so that you should only be able to push the sight into the dovetail by hand only a 1/3 of the way and then using a sight pusher for the rest. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts