1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you folks use the 10-8 U-Notch rear sight. Its the version that looks somewhat like a standard Colt rear.
If so, how do you like it?
Thanks, Ray

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I like it alright, it is wider than the original Novak type I took off. I can't compare it to a Colt.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have one on the rear of my EMP (.140) along with a Novak gold dot front sight. The combo works well if there is enough light to see your target.:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Any of you folks use the 10-8 U-Notch rear sight. Its the version that looks somewhat like a standard Colt rear.
If so, how do you like it?
Thanks, Ray
I believe you are referring to the "NM" rear sight. I only have experience with the 10-8 sight for the Novak cut. The closest thing I've used to what you're describing is the Yost Retro sight which also has a .140" notch but is not "U" shaped. I love the Yost Retro but I wish it the U-notch of the 10-8. Both make one-handed slide manipulation a breeze. I think the 10-8 "NM" sight is the best of both worlds. Clean uncluttered sight picture, functional, fits the standard dovetail, and works great with a white/tritium/FO dot up front.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Sir, Thats the one I've been considering. I thought it might be a good fit with a gold bead front sight.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have no experience with the 10-8 NM rear sights but have read some very good reviews of them. Also, I have 10-8's standard (Novak cut) rear sights on all my 1911s and am quite pleased with them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like the 10-8 rear sight on my 1911. Allows me to focus on my front sight better and for me makes it seem like shooting a gun with an aimpoint with only one dot bouncing up and down.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
The one thing that I really wish that was an option was a narrower notch. I have the .125" wide notch right now, and I kind of wish it was just a little bit narrower.

However, the thing I like the MOST about these sights is that with its shape, the white dot on my front sight naturally drops into the bottom of the U, coming up very much like a peep sight for me.

Dave

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for taking the time to respond and post pictures folks, I appreciate it.
On another note, whats with the allen screw on these sights? Seems unnecessary. The only rear sight I've ever lost was a Retro with the screw. :(

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to respond and post pictures folks, I appreciate it.
On another note, whats with the allen screw on these sights? Seems unnecessary. The only rear sight I've ever lost was a Retro with the screw. :(
Lock-Tite ;)

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
I have 10-8 sight on my Colt slided Caspian, Rebel 1. Nice sight picture, no machining required. I really wanted a gold bead for the front, but there aren't stake-on versions available. My plan to send the slide to Chuck Rogers was delayed when my wife lost her job (flat-top and arrow serrate the slide, mill and fit SDM gold bead front and either the other 10-8 rear or Chuck's rear, lower/flare ejection port and refinish in CeraKote). I have "extra" money from selling my prep and sponsoring NJHS (middle school teacher) coming in December. Anyway, Here's a couple of pics of Rebel 1 with the old grips that show the sight.

Robert

BTW, I'm planning on reusing the sight when I work over my Springfield WWII GI, probably next summer.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I used red LocTite. Didn't work this time. Thought it was a pretty tight fit too.
Nice pistol Robert. Thanks for the pic's.
Did you coat the slide channel with loctite and the screw threads. I have not had any issues when coated this way. YMMV

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Red Loctite worked OK for me.

The allen screw is, depending on your installation, unnecessary. However, if you cut the sight base, or have the sight base cut, to be looser in the dove tail to allow easy windage adjustments, then the screw becomes more necessary.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts