1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the 9mm last week, had to go back and get the matching 10 mm yesterday. Shot 50 rounds just now, 30 Remington UMC and 20 hand loads. Incredibly accurate, felt great, smooth, but on 6-7 occasions the slide locked open after firing. Just like manually pulling slide back by hand and pushing slide stop up to lock the slide out of battery.

When it happened the mag released when I pushed mag release button, fell out easy, all rounds in the same position as if I had just loaded them. Also, after the slide locked open, I could just release the slide stop and the slide would slam forward into battery as it would normally. Any ideas how to correct this?

Dan

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Bought the 9mm last week, had to go back and get the matching 10 mm yesterday. Shot 50 rounds just now, 30 Remington UMC and 20 hand loads. Incredibly accurate, felt great, smooth, but on 6-7 occasions the slide locked open after firing. Just like manually pulling slide back by hand and pushing slide stop up to lock the slide out of battery.

When it happened the mag released when I pushed mag release button, fell out easy, all rounds in the same position as if I had just loaded them. Also, after the slide locked open, I could just release the slide stop and the slide would slam forward into battery as it would normally. Any ideas how to correct this?

Dan
Pushing the mag release SHOULD drop the mag whether the slide is open or closed.

Sounds almost like you are hitting the slide lock lever during recoil. Have you shot 10mm before? Much more recoil and muzzle rise than the 9mm you just got. With a high hold, this is possible.

Side note....what part of NC are you in? Tracy

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Rockingham. This is my 3rd 10mm. Hand didn't touch slide release. It just catches when slide is pushed back from recoil. Thanks for any input.

Dan

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
In Rockingham. This is my 3rd 10mm. Hand didn't touch slide release. It just catches when slide is pushed back from recoil. Thanks for any input.

Dan

How about a light recoil spring? Older rocks used to be sent brand new with a #14 spring...so I've read and been told.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wondered if a stiffer spring would help. Read it has 14 lb spring, but not sure. Brass was flying 20', but I didn't think this would cause the slide stop to engage, locking the slide open. I used the stock RIA mag and two Colt mags for my delta elite. It happened with all three mags. Hand was not touching slide stop. 100% positive as I was thinking about that after it happened the first time or two. Got me scratching my head a bit.

Dan

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Hand cycling both the Rock and the Delta, what is the difference in the spring on both slides? Try switching the Delta spring for the Rock spring next time you shoot the Rock.....see if it still does it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Is it newly built 10mm? Older ones were shipped with really light recoil spring - I believe was either 16# or 18# spring.
Armscor replaced mine with 22# or 24# when mine was there on unrelated issue.

Although, I don't really see how incorrect recoil spring weight would make a slide to prematurely lock during the shooting, its something you should check it out.
Its easy to check. If your empties fly away in to next county, you have incorrect recoil spring
(mine shot empties away like 25yd away. No lie)
With new, heavier spring, empties lands about 12yard or so away.

As far as premature slide lock is concerned, first thing I would check would be to see if slide stop lobe is touching a projectile in the magazine.
You can do that by removing the slide, barrel and recoil assembly off of the gun. Insert the slide stop back in the frame(with slide still off), and insert the mag with ammo in it.

Hard to see, but check and see if ANY ammo are touching, or really close.
When I sent my 10mm back to Armscor for unrelated issue, it got complimentary reliability tuning.
And they definatly reshape this area - I presume is to make sure that there are no chance of it come in contact with projectile itself during the cycle, which would push up just enough to lock the slide
I had this issue with my CS, and my 9mm Loaded, and Para 9mm I had(not with every bullets, but with certain type of ammo).

That's where I would start.
And as far as your finger possibly touching during the shooting, that's certainly possible.
No one ever say that they do. But many people still do regardless of what they think.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info. I am going to check into that. And swapping out delta spring if that doesn't work. Thanks guys. I was only touching the slide stop. Barely holding the gun at one point today. I have shot 1911's for a while, just not much of a gunsmith obviously. Ha ha. Appreciate the thoughts and images.

Dan

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took a peek and it does seem entirely possible that the bullets are touching the inside of the slide stop on their way into the feeding ramp. Guess the slide goes back, next round comes up from the mag, and it hits the slide stop which locks up the slide. Any suggestions on best way to fix this. Thinking a small amount of grinding with dremmel. Maybe just take cordless dremmel to range and go a little at a time till feed issues are resolved. My only concern is taking too much material off and what effect it might have. Thanks for any comment. Sorry for the phone pic.

Dan

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Ya I didn't have to do it with my 10mm(was done at the mothership), but I dealt with dremel on my CS. Just make sure that the there is enough space there(see mypic above. That's how much space RIA's gunsmith thought was needed)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate the help man. Will grind her down a bit. Feel confident she will be purring very soon.

Merry Xmas.

Dan

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The one on the right is my presumed faulty stop for the 10 mm. To left is my RIA 9 mm stop which is 100% flawless after 350 rounds. I can see the angle and amount ground off is different. This could be the culprit.

Below is my Colt delta elite 10 mm stop to left, presumed faulty RIA 10 mm stop to the right. Note the drastic difference in the shape and angle.

Dan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Merry christmas for starters.

Looks like you may have found the culprit. Let us know how it works out for you

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Merry Christmas

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Out of curiosity what happens if I grind off too much material.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Out of curiosity what happens if I grind off too much material.

NO GRIND!!!!!

File only...couple of strokes at a time.

To answer the question, it doesn't have enough metal to catch the mag follower and won't lock the slide open on the last rd.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I think mitty hit this one right on the head, you should be able to see copper on the SS where they are hitting. NO Grinding use some sandpaper to take a little off then check again, make sure your ammo is all the way in the mag. give it a slap.if you take to much off the follower won't catch the Slide Stop Lobe.......go easy.....:rock:

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
When my 10MM. came back from RIA repair, had this note, installed new FO front sight,polished the ramp,tuned,sighted in at 20 yrds. replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff 20lb. Main spring replaced with a Wolff 23 lb. this work was done by Arnel......:rock:

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
When my 10MM. came back from RIA repair, had this note, installed new FO front sight,polished the ramp,tuned,sighted in at 20 yrds. replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff 20lb. Main spring replaced with a Wolff 23 lb. this work was done by Arnel......:rock:

Finally an answer to BOTH what recoil spring AND mainspring in a 10mm 5" 1911.

THANKS.

replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff 20lb. Main spring replaced with a Wolff 23 lb. this work was done by Arnel......:rock:

Tracy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts