1911Forum banner

10-round 1911 magazines

1218 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  rhino465
10-round magazines

Guys, could you please give me some recommendations on 10-round 1911 magazines.

I regularly use the Wilson 8-round mags and have one Ed Brown 10-round mag, but the Brown units don’t seem to be available any longer. I’d love to pick up some more of them if someone knows of a vendor with some units in stock. If not, what would you recommend?

Thanks, Chris
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7,462 Posts
Wilson, Chip McCormick, and I've never had any probs with the 10rdr's from Springfield. Got them with my coupon when I got my Longslide.
Check Brownells, Cheaper Than Dirt, possibly Midway, Dillon's Blue Press. Any of these places should be able to get you 10 rdr's. Tracy

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,408 Posts
Midway has McCormick Power Mags on sale; about $18 each. I'd been using five of these, almost every weekend, for a couple of years, and never had any real complaints with them, but I finally had one "go bad" - not really sure what happened, but the mag would no longer allow the top round to be stripped when full. I bought two more to replace it, so the incident hasn't done too much to dim my enthusiasm for them.

· Registered
10 Posts
I've had good results with both the Wilson 10 round mags and the Chip McCormick mags.

Because of the wrap around bumper pad on the McCormick mags, they look a bit better in the gun but they may not fit properly on some pistols with mag wells. Nothing a little Dremeling can't cure.

I did have some failures on a couple of early run Wilson 10 round mags. As a result of slamming the mag into the pistol during competition, the tab that prevents the mag from going in too far broke off....actually the weld tack broke. I believe they beefed up the weld and I haven't had that happen in a long time.

I trust both mags.

· Registered
3,408 Posts
Metalform is maker of the tube and follower of the Ed Brown, just without the little tab on the front. And they don't come standard with a rubber pad.

The pad at least is easily added. I have 3 or 4 Metalforms, they work in general just as reliably as the Ed Brown, I only stopped using them in favor of the Ed Browns when I noticed the little punched out tab on the front was chewing into the mag well of my Les Baer. So I just use the Ed Brown in that gun for now. I've have very good reliability from Wilson combats, including one pistol that will run on nothing else, not even the Metalform, nor Ed Brown (an Essex frame...)

I would love to be able to find a way to weld that tab onto the tube myself, I'd go into business selling my own brand of magazines, just like Ed Brown did. They would be the Ed Brown replacement magazines, and I bet I could sell a bunch.

· Registered
2,484 Posts
I now have 7 10-round Wilsons and they all work perfectly in both my Kimber Custom Classic or Les Baer P-II. I haven't upgraded the followers or springs and just keep them clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.