1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen it mentioned here a few times and i've read about some limit on magazine capacity to 10 rounds and i have a lot of questions:

- is this still in effect?
- is it in the entire u.s. or just in some states?
- for all calibers?
- does it include rifles?
-what about higher than 10 magz that were bought before?

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
5 states

NY
NJ
CA
HI
MA

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Why doesn't that list of states surprise me... :)

By the way I escaped from NY 2 years ago. I was finally able to make a life long dream come true (or is it through?). Fully auto isn't legal in NY, so as soon as I got settled I bought a full auto Thompson

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Unless there's been a recent change, NJ is 15 rounds, not 10.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
5 states

NY
NJ
CA
HI
MA

These clowns obviously have no clue that you can change mags in less than a second!:barf:

(what we need are legislators who actually go to the range before passing ANY gun laws)

·
Registered
344 Posts
15 rounds in NJ for pistol and should be rifle also, but it depends on who you ask about the rifle. Some will say 10 rounds for rifle.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
(what we need are legislators who actually go to the range before passing ANY gun laws)
Actually, I would prefer that they didn't. Next thing you know, we'll be hearing, "Gasp! Those double-action revolvers fire one shot per trigger pull without requiring the shooter to spin around three times, spit once, and sing 'My Sharona' before the next shot! Why, they're SEMI-AUTOMATICS and should be classified as such!!!!"

:eek:

·
Registered
388 Posts
chifus: Then you have things like in Ohio. There isn't a magazine capacity ban and state law is supposed to preempt local firearm laws but some cities still carry magazine capacity limits on their books. IANAL

silvercorvette: Yeah, yeah... rub it in; Corvette(s) and full auto Thompson. Livin' my Magnum P.I. dream right there in your southern hideout! :biglaugh: :rock:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
amazing the mind set.. i still have some "law enforcement only" 11 rd (ooooohh) mags for my old smith 40 cal...at the time, a civi could only buy the 10 rd version..like an extra bullet somehow made these guns incredibly more dangerous so that they couldn't be trusted in the hands of a civilian.

·
Registered
843 Posts
No they should be forced to pass the gun laws at the range in front of everyone there. To make the politicians feel more comfortable:biglaugh:

On the topic though, we in Australia also have a 10 round magazine limit for our handguns.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is one strange law. Is that for carrying only?

What happens if you buy a large capacity mag outside the state and bring it in?

·
Registered
843 Posts
That is one strange law. Is that for carrying only?

What happens if you buy a large capacity mag outside the state and bring it in?
Well for our one we're not allowed to carry, we can only own guns for sporting purposes, we also have a .38 calibre limit for most target shooters although some can get exceptions as my friend from NSW said said he has friends who have .45s

Canada is also another country that I know has a 10 round magazine limit for pistols and 5 rounds for rifles, execeptions exist for certain rifles like the M1 Garand which is difficult to reduce the capacity of.

One really sad thing about the 10 round magazine limit is where it may have originated from, at least in the US. Bill "Quisling" Ruger
http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Well for our one we're not allowed to carry, we can only own guns for sporting purposes, we also have a .38 calibre limit for most target shooters although some can get exceptions as my friend from NSW said said he has friends who have .45s

Canada is also another country that I know has a 10 round magazine limit for pistols and 5 rounds for rifles, execeptions exist for certain rifles like the M1 Garand which is difficult to reduce the capacity of.

One really sad thing about the 10 round magazine limit is where it may have originated from, at least in the US. Bill "Quisling" Ruger
http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html
That is the reason I still refuse to buy a new Ruger to this day, I did buy a used pre warning 10/22 last week on gunbroker but that is my only Ruger. Ruger makes a better cheaper SAA but I would rather own a Colt SAA.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
California, where I reside, is an interesting case regarding the 10 round limit. First, no such thing as being able to sell your perban magazines. Sale or import of any +10 round mag is illegal regardless of when it was made. As a result, when someone gets rid of an M1 carbine or AR 15 or Mini they keep the magazines just in case they want to buy another one in the future.

Although CA law lists about every possibility - sale, transfer, expose for sale, import, offer for sale, etc - it does not ban possession regardless of when the mag was made. And, CA allows "rebuild kits" which are comprised of a follower, a body, a spring and floorplate disassembled. So you can rebuild your 1981 AR magazine with parts all stamped "Made Yesterday" and it's legal.

They typical CA gun law is convoluted and full of exceptions, often making them easy to work around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts