1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you out there, who have had any experiences with Tripp Research, Wilson/ Combat and Chip McCormick 10 rounder magazines for the 1911 pistol, which among them do you feel is the best?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I only have a couple Chip McCormick and they have been flawless. I like the base plate they have too. But all three are names I trust. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Wilson or Tripp either.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I have about four of each. Years ago I used them extensively in L10. Lots of rounds through each. More probably through the Wilsons...never had a problem with either. For CCW I prefer the Wilsons because they are smaller with only a tiny "stop" welded to the front...My CMs have a large plastic base that make them wider. Some folks like that for grip during the reload. I think both are good functionally.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I will add this - the reason I ended up with the CMs is because a fellow shooter had problems with them...he was shooting a Les Baer. They worked fine in all my pistols...Valor, Colts, Kimber and RIA.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
10 round magazines......

I am surprised the OP didn't state the caliber when discussing 10 round mags..... There are 10 round mags offered in 9mm. .40S&W, and .45acp for the 1911......:scratch:

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Uh oh! this is the 3rd 10R mag question recently (another one in the WCF), must be the SHTF scenario is finally here - yikes! :)

For me, I found trip springs wear the fastest of the 3, and CM has the sturdiest springs of the 3. The WC mags are very good also, but sometimes they will not go in the gun fully loaded unless I pull the slide back - me no like that.

I keep begging WCR for a flatwire 10R - this would be the best by far.

ymmv
C.A.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
All excellent choices in 45acp. All good companies devoted to quality. All should work well. How will they relate to your 1911 is the question?
The answer is: Depends upon the gun.
Buy/borrow one of each and see what your 1911(s) like best. Then, buy a number of the preferred mags.

Yes, plenty of 10rd magazine questions lately, huh.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I always used Wilson's but decided to give McCormik a shot. Their "XP" 10 round 9mm mag has not worked for me. The mag will not seat with the 10th round in. I called CS to make sure that if I shot through them much it would not negate the guarantee. I was told there was a bad run of mags and if shooting does not alleviate the issue I can return them and they will replace.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
I just picked up a 10 round CMC; I'll see how it works this weekend. Hopefully, no issues. My reason for exploring the 10 rounders is for carry spares. All else being equal, if 8 is OK, 10 must be better...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I used the CMC power +10 for approx two years. I started to have an issue with them sticking the firearm. While I was at a firearms school I had total failure twice. Under slide lock I reloaded a full magazine to have the mag stick in the gun. The mag could neither be pulled out nor could a round be chambered. The magazine was tapped out from the top.

I was lucky enough to be at the school with a brownells gunsmith. He informed me the magazines were toasted. Feed lips had widened. With the feed lips widening, the stuck in the firearm rendering it useless until it could be tapped out.

I called CMC and advised them of the issue. They stated a lot of rounds were put through the mags therefore I should order new ones. I advised they were two years old and I got directed to the websit to order new ones. I was a little displeased.

Needless to say I went to Wilson Combat 10 round mags. They feel much thicker and better construction. Time will tell.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
I used the CMC power +10 for approx two years. I started to have an issue with them sticking the firearm. While I was at a firearms school I had total failure twice. Under slide lock I reloaded a full magazine to have the mag stick in the gun.

Needless to say I went to Wilson Combat 10 round mags. They feel much thicker and better construction. Time will tell.
I just picked up a 10 round CMC to see how it runs in my guns; If it works, it'll be a spare carry magazine.

The pamphlet that the magazine came with states "When rapid/aggressive reloads are implemented with the pistol in the slide lock condition, the feed lips are the only features that absorb and retain the full weight and momentum of the stack of .45 ACP cartridges in the magazine. As an example, 10 rounds of .45 is 42.8% increase in the weight of the stack as compared to what the 1911 pistol and its original 7 round feed lips were designed to withstand. Multiple aggressive reloads are the most common cause of fatigue to a 1911 magazine and feed lips spreading open..."

It goes on, but you get the idea.

I'm not sure how much thicker metal you can use to make a 1911 magazine, both the exterior and interior dimensions are limited...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts