1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well well well. Here's a doozy. Wild claims aren't just restricted to used car salesmen- they also come from gun peddlers. How many differences between the two can you spot? Rack number scrubbed...barrel...grips... Also, I'm not even sure the slide is original to the frame although it hasn't been swapped since the CMP.

You could say the "advanced collection" just happened to be the US Government via the CMP. Not a bad attempt at a profit for the gun flipper. Truth be told I don't have a problem with people flipping guns. I'd just rather there was some truth spoken along with the sale. Maybe P98 had no idea about the origin of the gun, or maybe they did. Anyway, things are not what they are claimed to be.

When will these people figure out that we collectors are a saavy bunch and the internet is forever?

Google docs link on the CMP auction page is broken due to age, however I had the pics saved and dropped in an album here.

· Registered
6,740 Posts
Darn... what a bargain!!! I'll take two... one for carry in my Alpha-Devastator ankle holster, and and nightstand duty. No, make that three. I need one for my tactical scooter also. It's my bug-out vehicle!! :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
852 Posts
Whether it's the 1911, 1911A1, Garand, Luger, P.38 or some other collectable firearm, the Romans knew over 2,000 years ago that it pays to be knowledgeable and aware. Thus caveat emptor; buyer beware. There are always shady, dishonest individuals willing to lie and cheat to separate you from your money.

· Administrator
80,918 Posts
That's nuthin'. Get a load of this jewel:

Completely original and unfired. Even comes with a period-correct cable lock!

· Registered
4,405 Posts
Re post 5

I like the fact that “W W I” is on the right side of the frame. It’s almost like the maker knew there would be another world war, when most folks were calling it “the war to end all wars.”

· Registered
902 Posts
Thanks filson. 25K huh?? To quote my wife, “that is refuckulous” 😂

She said that on accident one day and it stuck with us for some reason.

· Premium Member
8,843 Posts
True collectors and individuals with actual knowledge about the USGI 1911s know these pistols are bogus. While it was a CMP pistol and therefore has military history, it's FAR from what is advertised. yet there are a lot of uniformed millennials out there with way more money than brains. They see this as a quick way to finance their next BMW. P.T. Barnum would be proud.

Grumpy

· Administrator
80,918 Posts
I used to recommend Pre98 to people seeking a USGI 1911, but in the past few years I've seen so many examples like this that I've reluctantly had to add them to the ever-increasing list of sellers to avoid. It's a real shame. It takes a long time to develop a solid reputation among collectors, but it only takes one or two bad guns to make your business eligible for the Huntington Beach award for firearms fakery. Unfortunately the temptation to turn a low-key but respectable business into one that rakes in loads of cash from unwitting buyers is too great for many of these people.

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sold, still up for sale. Hopefully the word is out on this gun and its history. Its a real JSB, but the seller has completely embellished the description. They should correct that and price it accordingly.

If I had to guess I think whoever bought it from the CMP corrected it and flipped it to P98 for a VERY decent profit. P98 paid what they thought was a very good price and saw dollar signs thinking they could flip it for even more money. Now, they're stuck with a gun they paid too much for. And are unwilling to come clean about. They just hope they can flip it to someone else who doesn't know better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.