1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals.

I've been a lurker for a few weeks now and I've just purchased my very first handgun, a SS Loaded. Should be picking it up this weekend.

Here's a little background...
A friend took me the range the other week to shoot a couple rounds. He knew I never shot a gun so it was definately an experience for me. I shot his 1911 and instantly fell in love with it. I went back a week later and shot 100 rounds through a bunch of other rental guns H&K, Para, Sig, Glock, but the 1911 felt the best in my hand, had the least recoil versus the plastic guns and just looks the most attractive. Not that a gun needs to look good, but they do look nice.

I have a few questions since this is my first handgun ever...

Do I need to disassemble and clean before I shoot the break-in rounds? Someone was telling me that if I bought a Kimber I wouldn't have to do this, but the Springfields require it. Sounds kind of fishy to me.

Also I wanted to know what I should do at the shop before I take it out the door. What should I be looking at and what type of defects should I be looking for?

Thanks for the advise, and I'm sure I'll have more questions and feedback once I become more experienced.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Field strip it, be sure the bore is clear, lube the slide to frame contact areas, and shoot the crap out of it. :D

At the shop, check it for cosmetic defects, make sure the safety works, make sure the slide locks back on an empty magazine, and make sure the magazines drop freely when you press the magazine release. Cock and dry-fire a couple of times to be sure the trigger is butter-smooth. Pay.

Welcome to our world. What's next on your wish-list? :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is normal to disassemble and clean any brand of gun before its first use regardless of how much lube is or is not present. SA's do come with more oil on them than some other brands but that is to protect YOUR investment during shipment.

A good 1911 will last you a lifetime. If you are a shooter you will have it broken down hundreds of times for cleaning. Anyone who suggests selecting a weapon based on the amount of lube it bears from the factory or with hopes of cleaning it one less time over the life of the weapon is nuts. Just smile and nod at the nice man and try not to make eye contact in the future.

·
Registered
169 Posts
yes cleanit

it is normal. the oil that comes on a new firearm from what I understand.. is a different lube thenwhat you reapply after a good cleaning.. also.. it removes and rsidue from their test firing and really places you in a good "start position" as you know where u stand I always clean a new gun before firing it..

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've just purchased my very first handgun, a SS Loaded.....

WELCOME to the 1911 family! :)

I concur with the above as far as field stripping, cleaning and lubricating prior to shooting it in (breaking it in). I also concur with what to look for prior to the pay part. With most brands I would recommend a more detailed inspection, to include field stripping and inspecting. However, with the Springer guarantee you may or may not wish to do this. Again, welcome to the family!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Welcome aboard newblood!

And so begins another downward spiral into poverty.:biglaugh:

Enjoy the ride. It's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Breesej,

First, congratulations on both becoming a gun owner, and starting out at the top of the food chain with the 1911. Most people make the mistake of byuing a lesser pistol out of the box. ;)

As for field stripping, you will be miles ahead if you can find an experienced shooter at your range or club who can walk you through the fine points of taking down and reassembling the 1911 without damaging anything.

You will also find better than average quality advice here on the forum, but IMO there is no substitute for having something shown to you and explained as you go by someone who knows the proper way.

Do be sure and let us know how it goes, and again, congratulations !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You guys are the best...

Hey, thanks for the replys.

I'm really glad I went back to the range to shoot almost everygun they had, I really like the 1911, and why would a gun design remain unchanged for so long if it wasn't as close to "perfect" as the 1911 is.

I'll be sure to ask the gun shop to give me a quick tutorial on field stripping once the gun passes visual inspection. Then I'll take it home and give her a good cleaning, then stare at her beauty, start caressing her..... okay that's going too far ;).

I really hate this 10 day waiting period thing, all I've been doing at home and work is download images of my gun and looking at accessories. Dishes are piling up, clothes are accumilating on the floor, bathroom is getting a little dirty, and my project at work is due. If I just had the darn thing I would get this whole "shooting my gun" with "my bullets" feeling/urge out of my system and go about my daily life.

I have another question:

For those of you who live with roommates, did you discuss the subject of a handgun in the house or what? I don't want to freak out my roommate, but don't feel that there is much to "freak out" about since I have a really sturdy safe. It's bolted to a stud and shelf in my the back of my bedroom closet. I use it for jewelery, tax and business docks, and there's room for a handgun in there. So what are your oppinions on this?

Thanks again guys, this is a great forum. I already feel like family.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What 10 day wait? :) No such thing here...

I'd think it's none of your roommate's business unless you want it to be. Depends on the roommate. Just don't go leaving it out for him/her to find. Eventually maybe you can bring your roommate into the sport as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shadowblade said:
What 10 day wait? :) No such thing here...

I'd think it's none of your roommate's business unless you want it to be. Depends on the roommate. Just don't go leaving it out for him/her to find. Eventually maybe you can bring your roommate into the sport as well.
I was thinking that, but I just don't want to think I have something to hide, I mean I have friends who have guns and they might want to check it out one day. Or I will have to clean it, and I don't feel like trying to hide the fact that I do have a gun in the house. Or have him freak out if he sees me cleaning it in the garage or kitchen.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, I remember my ten day waiting period. uggg. Now I'm waiting for my concealed weapons license. more waiting.

You might want to get a bushing wrench to help field striping.

John Bresee

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
I can imagine that a ten day wait would make me crazy too.

I live in Mass, so I can't even buy most new handguns, or used ones either for that matter.

Given the option I would wait ten days.

Mass. gun laws really bite.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts