1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I called bs on several people who claimed to shoot their 1911's at ranges of 100 yards and up. So I decided to test it out, I was an expert rifleman for Uncle Sam. The target .... a 1 gallon milk jug in front of a wood pallet at 100 yards. One mag , one chance, FS Citadel in 9mm, the third shot hit the milk jug-all eight hit the pallet. Holy cow , crow tastes like victory. I was shooting one handed, standing, bone stock pistol, it was awesome. :rock:

·
Premium Member
7,712 Posts
Well, I called bs on several people who claimed to shoot their 1911's at ranges of 100 yards and up. So I decided to test it out, I was an expert rifleman for Uncle Sam. The target .... a 1 gallon milk jug in front of a wood pallet at 100 yards. One mag , one chance, FS Citadel in 9mm, the third shot hit the milk jug-all eight hit the pallet. Holy cow , crow tastes like victory. I was shooting one handed, standing, bone stock pistol, it was awesome. :rock:
Well, that's a good warm up shot. Now take the lid off that milk jug, carry it down range another 100 yards and nail it 4 out of 8 times or better.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just watched Imposable Shots & Jerry Miculek hit a balloon 240 yrds. away with a 22 LR revolver 2nd shot. He did it twice.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Just watched Imposable Shots & Jerry Miculek hit a balloon 240 yrds. away with a 22 LR revolver 2nd shot. He did it twice.

But we are talking about what real people can do. I think Jerry is a Cyborg

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not a bad stunt shot, kinda gives you a warm fuzzy for the effective range of a hand gun. Look up the balistic chart on a 230 Gr.JRN @ 950 FPS, the actual drop will amaze you...

I usually get disbelieving looks, when I bounce a soda can, 6 X 8 at 100 Yds. with a CZ-52 and hand loads.

Paul

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I don't have the eyes to shoot open sights anymore and now rely on red dots to cheap my way to good handgun groups.

When younger a bunch of us use to get together out in some undeveloped lands and shoot and at even longer distances. Bowling pins were our main targets. Back then all I had were a 357 and 44 and found 100 yard plinking was practical by most all the guys including I guy with a colt 22mag buntline. At 200 yards luck was much more involved in shooting anything that could be called a group and the creedmoor hold was used by all. I had a large piece of full thickness leather as a blast shield we could hook over your knee.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
I've made more than a few $$ from guys who claim you can't hit anything at 100 yds with a 1911. My brother and I shoot .45's at 100 yds at least once a month. If nothing else it teaches you sight alignment and trigger control.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I've made more than a few $$ from guys who claim you can't hit anything at 100 yds with a 1911. My brother and I shoot .45's at 100 yds at least once a month. If nothing else it teaches you sight alignment and trigger control.
I have never tried shooting 1911 .45cal at 100 yrds. how much in" do you hold over?...:scratch: I don't know if I could see the target anymore at 100 yrds...:bawling::biglaugh:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Jonny Handgun,
None of my 45's will do that, at 200, BUT several of my other "pistols" will go 8 X 8 in the cap, at that distance...

TRSOtto,
Years ago, when I first got my Mec-tec CCU in .45, I was trying to stretch out the reach. With 230 Gr. RN, it grouped real well at 50 and 75 Yds. When I tried it at a 100, with a 75 yd. zero, suddenly, I was off the paper. What I discovered was that BETWEEN 75 and 100 Yds. the 230 Gr. dropped about 28 inches. Basic balistics math shows this to be true.

Try stoking up some 185 Gr. JHP's to around 1300 FPS and let 'em walk a little. I think you will find that you can cut your hold over almost in HALF. When you find the velocity sweet spot, you can dump a mag in the jug, at will.

No, you don't have to be crazy to shoot big bore handguns at long ranges, but being that way does give you a distinct advantage at the fun counter...

Paul

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
..Years ago, when I first got my Mec-tec CCU in .45, I was trying to stretch out the reach. With 230 Gr. RN, it grouped real well at 50 and 75 Yds. When I tried it at a 100, with a 75 yd. zero, suddenly, I was off the paper. What I discovered was that BETWEEN 75 and 100 Yds. the 230 Gr. dropped about 28 inches.
That is not my experience at all. A 230 gr .45 that hits about 2.5 inches high at 25 yds will drop roughly 7-8 inches at 100 yds. We shoot at a 15 inch diameter disc blade and holds at the top edge of the disc will produce a center hit.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_trajectory_table.htm

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ballistics will probably be worlds apart from a carbine like a mec unit and a pistol length barrel. I was shooting down hill and holding dead on to get hits ,but it was a 9 with Remington factory 115gr fmj.

·
Administrator
10,888 Posts
Actually, I chronoed a variety of ammos out of a Mech-Tech, and didn't get much increase in velocity compared to a 5" barrel. In general, 9mm will be flatter shooting than 45 ... in general, faster ammo is flatter shooting.
As noted before, TRSOtto's observations at 100 yards match my own.

·
Administrator
10,888 Posts
5" groups at 100 yards are impressive, even from a rest. The last time I shot at 100 yards (3 weeks ago) my group (offhand) was about 12". I was pleased with that.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
This is very doable with practice and shooting position. I did this with metal silhouette shooting for years. I routinely hit targets out to 200 yards with my TC Contender. As such, practice with a 1911 can result in this capability.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
At a Major IDPA match, the staff shooting.

We were on the rifle range (200yds) and the stage itself was set up at 100yds. During the briefing I saw a plate (about 12"x12") at the 200, I looked at the plate and said 3 rds. I was shooting a G34 and was loaded, given the command to fire, I hit it on the second shot. This was the first match that this gun was in. A friend mosied up with his S&W 610, shooting 40S&W, and rung it with the first shot.

Funny, no one else would do it.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
A little humbler here, in Handgun Metallic Silhouettes, the first perfect score was shot by an Army Major with a bone-stock 1911A1 and 230gr.Ball.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yeah, these rocks are nice shooters. I've never shot mine that far, but I hit a 12x12 steel plate at 75 1 handed. I still... Someone posted a while back, about a trick shot, Fill an empty can with water, set another empty can on top, no water, shoot the bottom can and shoot the top before it hits the ground. I'm going to try this at about 15 yards soon, see how it goes... Might have to make a couple attempts, I want to see how the cans fly.. :) Shooting liquid filled things is fun!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts