1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I think I am ready to sell mu Kimber Pro Carry to a buddy and then step up to a really nice 1911. Trouble is that there are so many that catch my eye. I cannot go above 1 grand, if I could then that would make it easier.
The only one that is on the radar screen right now is the Kimber Eclipse, with either 4 or 5 inch barrel. I have heard really good things about these and they look good as well.
Let me know your ideas on this one.

Thanks

Nala

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If you've got a dealer who really, really, likes you (and doesnt' want to make a large profit) you can have him order you a SA TRP Operator right now. One of the slickest setups currently available.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Kimber Compact, all steel, or Ultra Carry. Then the rest of the money on ammo, and lot's of practice.
====================
<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
257 Posts
If your willing to have something that's not from a "name" I've heard really nice things about Nowlin.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Although not listed on their website, GunSite had several custom 1911's for $1000 or less. They were built on Springfield frames and saved money by minimizing extreme accuracy enhancements such as custom barrel but seemed to be quite the deal. They'd be great for self-defense where 3" at 25 yards is plenty of accuracy - and better than most of us can shoot.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Kimber Eclipse

I have 2 Custom Eclipses and 1 Ultra Eclipse. I love the things and carry a Custom and the Ultra every day.

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
It sounds to me that you really like the Eclipse and was simply looking for vindication of your choice. Go get one then. I have one and really like the looks of it. I admittedly haven't fired mine that much yet, but then again it's one of those guns that I'd prefer to keep new-looking.

Aside from that, if I was in a situation where I had to go buy a gun right now and had only $1000 to spend, it would be a Colt M1991A1 or similar. I'd spend the extra money on mags, ammo and suitable carry gear.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Colt Special Combat Government, .45 ACP

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I'm with dsk on this one - a brand new blued 5" Colt Government Model, (do we still call them 1991A1?) or the stainless version for $100 more. That leaves me money for a REALLY GOOD Holster/Belt/Mag Pouch, quality magazines and either a fair amount of ammo or some change to get started in reloading. (I personally recommend the Dillion 550 or 650 Progressive reloaders.)

2-400 Rounds of breakin/proving rounds would immediately go down range. With current production Colts I would not expect to actually NEED to change anything. But given that I have a little change left, I would, per my preference, install a Cylinder and Slide Spring Steel Extractor, a Videki trigger, and double diamond walnut grips.

"Really Nice?" At only a little above $1000 (you might get it for close to your $1000 limit if the dealer likes you) I would certainly go with the new "Carry Model Gold Cup", the new stainless one with the Videki/BoMar combination standard out of the Colt Custom Shop box. More than the equal of any of the copies, and certainly more dependable out of the box.

You asked for ideas - go look at the new Colts before you waste money on a "creampuff" clone.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Get the STI Trojan and then you don't need to have it accurized: it will already be more accurate than you will probably ever be (mine is).

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm planning a SA TRP Operator purchase later this month if all goes well. I guess that's putting your money where your mouth is.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You have been given many good options. The best 1911 under $1,000 in my opinion would be the Stainless Gold Cup Trophy. Very nice pistol and accurate to boot. Plus, it comes out of Colt's Custom Shop.

------------------

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
This a a semi-custom niche that is not being utilized. Gunsite used to make a $1000 semi-custom gun. Rock River still may. I think one of the gunsmith's should put one of these out as a standard offering.

I did see above that Gunsite offers these but does not advertise them. I wonder why they don't advertise them.

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

1 - 20 of 22 Posts