1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for info good or bad on Officers size (3" or 3 1/2") 1911 in 10mm

So who had or has an Officers size 1911 in 10mm and what what make is it and what has your experience been with it ?

I'm not looking for a lot of negative comments from those who do not or have never owned one and I'm not interested interested in a commander size.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
20,427 Posts
I've never had one that size, but do shoot a Delta Elite. I cannot imagine the recoil in a full-power 10mm load in a gun that size. Some will tell you to go to a softer shooting load. Why not just stick with a .45 then?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I am a huge 10mm fan, I have 2 and am looing for #3 and have never seen a 10MM "shortie" except for the Glock 29.......a 3" 10mm would be brutal but awesome!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm looking for info good or bad on Officers size (3" or 3 1/2") 1911 in 10mm

So who had or has an Officers size 1911 in 10mm and what what make is it and what has your experience been with it ?

I'm not looking for a lot of negative comments from those who do not or have never owned one and I'm not interested interested in a commander size.

Thanks in advance
As per Keith of Dan Wesson and other custom gun makers I've spoke to say the 10mm it too long for that short of gun for reliability reasons. About the least for reliability would be Commander length. I'm 10mm freak and all mine are 5", I went with 38 Super in 4.25" Commander for CCW, and if you go Dan Wesson you can get the Guardian MSRP is $1620for all the options needed including match grade barrel. I might be selling my Colt LWC to help offset cost since that's about $600 more then my LWC Talo Special I bought new a year ago.

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
As per Keith of Dan Wesson and other custom gun makers I've spoke to say the 10mm it too long for that short of gun for reliability reasons. About the least for reliability would be Commander length. I'm 10mm freak and all mine are 5", I went with 38 Super in 4.25" Commander for CCW, and if you go Dan Wesson you can get the Guardian MSRP is $1620for all the options needed including match grade barrel. I might be selling my Colt LWC to help offset cost since that's about $600 more then my LWC Talo Special I bought new a year ago.
The 10mm round is the same length as the 45 ACP. Why does Keith think it is too long for that short of a gun since the 45 ACP works?

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Off the top of my head I can not think of any, but there seems to be a new 1911 maker every other week. If you reload no big deal. Maybea 40 S&W and a trip to a gunsmith and then stronger springs in the pistol.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The 10mm round is the same length as the 45 ACP. Why does Keith think it is too long for that short of a gun since the 45 ACP works?
I think it was due to length, but this was 3 years ago and old farts like me don't have memory or skills we had 30 or 40 years ago. Seems to me it was due to longer case not over all length (.992 10mm vs. .898 ACP), but it may have also been slide weight and power thing of the 10mm also.

When I called Fusion back then the owner (BF here on name) who had run Dan Wesson before Keith said he would do one but he stated he would not recommend it for carry gun due to reliability problems and that alloy frame would not stand up to the 10mm if shot very much and never hot PD loads except in actual self defense. However he said if I wanted one he would build it but only with steel frame and that it might not always be reliable. So having more sense then money I passed and went to 38 Super when finally I got my LWC for CCW use.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the input. It looks like it's been done and will be a fun project, I just need to figure out the best route to take.
If anyone has one I'de love to hear about it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Maybe try the glock and see if you still like the idea of shooting full power 10 mm out of a short gun before embarking on the build?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Maybe try the glock and see if you still like the idea of shooting full power 10 mm out of a short gun before embarking on the build?
Won't be the same as Glock frame will flex and it has very different feel and balance.

That said the G-29 was extremely accurate and easy for me to shoot.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It would be interesting to know how the ballistics of the 10mm out of such a short barrel compare with 38 Super. As a side note I recently got rid of a short barreled gun in 357 Sig because it lost the ballistic advantage in a short barrel over 9mm +P+. The point being that sometimes it is better to stick with a barrel length that the round was optimized for. If the purpose is just to have a fun build in 10mm then I can't argue with that :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts