1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes an aftermarket drop in 10mm fully supported barrel?

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Fusion and Storm Lake for 1911.

Wolf, Fire Dragon and Storm Lake for Glock.

Fire Dragon used to make a .400 Corbon for the 1911.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fusion and Storm Lake for 1911.

Wolf, Fire Dragon and Storm Lake for Glock.

Fire Dragon used to make a .400 Corbon for the 1911.

Thanks man. Any recommendations?

I got a Rock island tactical 10mm and I am planning to install it on it. I want to shoot the hottest stuff I can find.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Just my thoughts, I'm not the world's biggest expert on anything...

I dare say your RIA barrel is every bit the quality of Fusion and Storm Lake.
Storm Lake makes its own barrels, but Fusion buys them from other barrel makers.
Neither of those two aftermarket barrels are nearly the quality of
Kart or Schuemann or Nowlin or BarSto. It would be a shame
to spend money and get the same thing you have.
If you can't find a barrel from one of the top name barrel makers
just stick with your RIA barrel. If you use commercial ammo
(even the hottest commercial ammo on the market)
your RIA warranty will cover the gun. Swap the barrel and it won't.

Are you certain your existing barrel cannot take
the hottest commercial 10mm ammo you can find?
Or maybe you were just asking to get some opinions.
All is good. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just my thoughts, I'm not the world's biggest expert on anything...

I dare say your RIA barrel is every bit the quality of Fusion and Storm Lake.
Storm Lake makes its own barrels, but Fusion buys them from other barrel makers.
Neither of those two aftermarket barrels are nearly the quality of
Kart or Schuemann or Nowlin or BarSto. It would be a shame
to spend money and get the same thing you have.
If you can't find a barrel from one of the top name barrel makers
just stick with your RIA barrel. If you use commercial ammo
(even the hottest commercial ammo on the market)
your RIA warranty will cover the gun. Swap the barrel and it won't.

Are you certain your existing barrel cannot take
the hottest commercial 10mm ammo you can find?
Or maybe you were just asking to get some opinions.
All is good. :)

Thanks for the quick reply,

For the life of me, I can't find on the Armscor website giving the details of the barrel. I have some Underwoods 10mm 135gr jhp and According to underwood ammo, it clearly states that it is not safe to use with un-supported chambers such as that found on 1911. It also mentions Colt's Elite as an example.

According to his website, this 135gr jhp is traveling at 1600fps

Everything I read online suggests the a supported or ramped barrel is the way to go in order to prevent kaboms!..lol..

·
Registered
808 Posts
The RIA 10mm's all have a fully supported chamber. Some of the better built 1911 10mm firearms you can buy actually. You should have no problem firing any ammo from the hot side of the spectrum. The Underwoods in particular are perfectly safe in your RIA.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Thanks man. Any recommendations?

I got a Rock island tactical 10mm and I am planning to install it on it. I want to shoot the hottest stuff I can find.
Do you actually own RIA 10mm? Because as far as I can tell, RIA 10mm IS fully supported chamber bull barrel.

And what makes you think that RIA's isn't capable of handling this "hottest" load you speak of?

I shoot Underwood Ammo 165gr Gold Dot JHP out of my RIA 10mm, and that's pretty hot load.
I also shoot Buffalo Barnes 155 gr. ammo for hiking/camping load, and that's pretty damn hot load, and my RIA's perfectly fine.

Also, you may also want to keep in mind that the RIA uses less common, but stronger Clark/Para/Lissner ramp, which sort of limit your barrel choice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The RIA 10mm's all have a fully supported chamber. Some of the better built 1911 10mm firearms you can buy actually. You should have no problem firing any ammo from the hot side of the spectrum. The Underwoods in particular are perfectly safe in your RIA.

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
GunNut, no offense to you or anyone else intended, but "fully supported" is a relative term where semi-auto pistol barrels are concerned. All have to have some sort of feed ramp in order to function. This will leave a little, or a lot, of the case head area unsupported. NONE are "fully supported," some just have better support in the case head area than others. I realize some pistol/barrel manufacturers and owners will disagree. This is my humble observation and experience with the Bren Ten, S&W 1006, 1026,1076, Colt Delta, Kimber Eclipse, and Glock 10MM autos I've owned, shot and reloaded for since the mid '80s. The Colt Delta did have the least case head support of any of the 10MM autos I've owned. Fortunately, the 10MM is a strong case. I've not owned or examined an RIA 10MM so I can't say for sure, but case head support in your factory barrel "might" be about as good as any of the unramped type barrels you're considering to replace it with. Autos using the ramped barrels can come closer than the unramped type to being fully supported. I have used Cor-Bon and Buffalo Bore, as well as most other manufacturer's commonly available 10MM ammo, in addition to my own, sometimes rather energetic reloads. That being said, the 1911 platform would not be my first choice for the "real" 10MM ammo, i.e., Cor-Bon , Buffalo Bore, etc and equivalent reloads. The 1911s just don't have the slide mass of some of the other 10MMs. In most any discussion of 1911 pistols chambered in 10MM, a discussion of which extra heavy and/or dual recoil springs and buffers, in addition to heavy main/hammer springs and small radius firing pin stops to lesson slide velocity and potential slide/frame impact damage will ensue. The S&Ws and Glock have the slide mass to handle the hottest safe 10MM ammo, wihout any concern for heavy springs, buffers, etc. The only 10MMs I've seen, and owned in this case, that truly had "fully supported" barrels were S&W 610 and Ruger Blackhawk revolvers... ymmv

PS, I've used Bar-Sto, StormLake, KART and Schuemann barrels in various pistols and calibers with good results.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Fully supported barrels

NONE are "fully supported," some just have better support in the case head area than others
I started using "fully supported barrels" in the early days of using .38 super in USPSA to make major. Competitors were exceeding the pressure of the case specs. to achieve "major" velocities for better scoring. Unfortunatelty, case failures were common enough to cause major concerns. Winchester increased the thickness of their brass in the extractor/web area, and headstamped their new case as .38 super +P . Reloaders moved toward ramped barrels which offered better case support, and often times used small rifle primers to help prevent primer flow back.

Some barrel mfg's did offer better support than others. My criteria for a good barrel when using high pressure loads (that may exceed SAMMI specs) is to have a barrel that completely encircles the case up to the extractor groove, regardless if the barrel is ramped or not. I have a Clerke .38 super barrel (no longer made) that is not a ramped barrel yet is fully supported. Both Bar Sto and Kart ramped barrels are usually very good with case support. Yet, I have found some ramped barrels that do not offer as much case support as I like....however, I do not "hot rod" my loads to excess.

If a barrel is not fully supporting the case up to the extractor groove, the case may work fine for the first few times under high pressure. Unfortunately, the case becomes more brittle or work hardened each time it is reloaded, so it is not good to have less support.....all it might take is a work hardened brass case, and a slight bullet set back, and there is a strong possibility of a case failure that may cause damage to the gun and the shooter's hand.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
135gr @ 1600fps?? Golly, that's only 200fps slower than the .40 Supers that I shot through my G21!;)

I own a G20 and G29 and only shoot my reloads. I have some Buffalo Bore that came with the G20 when I bought it.

I just don't have any motivation to shoot "as hot as I can get." What's that about? I'm just curious, not being provocative.

Oh, yeah, one more thing: If your 10mm is throwing brass farther than about 8', then you need a stronger recoil spring. First thing I did when I acquired the G20 was to install a 22# spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts