1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 10MM Colt Double Eagle and , so far, I am very pleased with it. This is my first experience with a DE and I'm planning on adding an Ace full length guide rod with a built in buffer. A 22# recoil spring has also been suggested (the stock spring set-up is 16#'s). Does anyone out there have any other suggestions that might increase durability or help the reliability or functioning? Does anyone know of any aftermarket stocks or grips for the DE? Any and all comments about the DE, positive or negative, would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,391 Posts
One of the first tests of the DE was done by Ayoob in American Handgunner, and his less-than-lauditory report probably was enough to kill it! Most of the retrospectives on the gun laud its SA, if not DA trigger pull, and conclude that the gun was judged somewhat harshly. The fact that Colt would let it on th market before completely debugging ("Mk. II" version released shortly after initial release) didn't help. A lot of commentary on the exposed trigger bar (Beretta gets a pass on this, while Colt was vilified, by comparison), and a semi-external spring that was retained by the grip panel. I thought the spring/grip "problem" was rather like complaining the extractor is retained by the firing pin stop - are you going to shoot the gun without either? For all the work Colt did to "beat" Seecamp's patent, they didn't really come up with a better mousetrap, only a different one. I use a Wolf 24# spring in my Delta Elite, and it suffices for just about any load.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I had .45 Double Eagle for a while. I don't think anyone makes aftermarket grips. Try Eagle grips. I know they will make grips for some guns.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
There are some very high-quality aftermarket grips in wood available for the Double Eagle.

There is another 10mm website that I used to have linked to mine that shows them on a 10mm Double Eagle. I wish I still had the link- they are very nice looking.

For what its worth while I don't own a Double Eagle, but I enjoyed shooting the two I have fired and agree that the double action pull is great. Also,a friend has one he put a .45 Super barrel in and it runs really well.

Brent

------------------
NRA, USPSA, IDPA and MCRGO member
http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~bchamber/10mm.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts