1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finger Cylinder Gas Household hardware Machine

Cylinder Bicycle part Gas Machine Auto part

Hello guys I’m trying to trouble shoot what my issue(s) is and I need your help. I’m a new reloader and have been using the Lee classic turret. I’ve reloaded about 500 rds of 45acp using Lee dies and they all feed and shoot great. But I’ll be danged if I can put together a consistent cartridge in 10mm with my Hornady dies. I can make a dummy cartidge (crimped bullet/no charge) and it’ll plunk in my kkm barrel every time. The minute I put a charge in it changes everything. One round will drop right in, the other will only go half. I’ve tried dramatically flared to barely flared. I’ve tried the whole range of crimp. I do have Hornady #546533 dies, which is there “standard crimp” set… they offer another set with a taper crimp. It’s my understanding taper crimp is preferred for semi autos, could this be my issue?

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
This only happens IF there is powder in the case?

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
Are you crimping and seating at the same time? If so, stop. If not, narrow it down to exactly what is doing it. The seat or the crimp.

I go with minimal bell and minimal crimp. I think of crimp more as a flare removal.

·
Registered
332 Posts
For 10mm and 40 S&W I only use a taper crime. At the mouth, the case should be sized to .423". Cases can vary slightly in length so if the case mouth measures .422", you'll be OK but do not go larger than .423". I assure that you are full length resizing the cases as far down as the die allows? The case should measure .424/.425" at the web area. Also, seat the bullet first and taper crimp as the final step.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This only happens IF there is powder in the case?
correct. I’ve made a few dummy rounds that come out great. Plunk every time. I then charge a half dozen cases and some will be good and the others won’t. It’s very inconsistent.
Are you crimping and seating at the same time? If so, stop. If not, narrow it down to exactly what is doing it. The seat or the crimp.

I go with minimal bell and minimal crimp. I think of crimp more as a flare removal.
My die seats and crimps in one step. I set my die up according to Hornadys directions. Set seating depth. Back out seating die. Then set crimp. I slowly add crimp till cartidge will easily chamber. Then lower seating die to where it was before for spec OAL.
Are you suggesting to break that into two step? Seat then crimp?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Seat first then back off your seating stem. Then drop your die down onto the loaded case till it hits then just a slight turn clockwise not much if its a crimp seat die is what works for me on my 10s

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
Are you suggesting to break that into two step? Seat then crimp?
Try breaking it up into two steps first. That should help you figure out where things are going sideways.

Go with minimal bell. Just enough to get the bullet started without collapsing the case.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Powder through Expander die?

Grumpy

·
Registered
273 Posts
10mm chambers on the case mouth and gets a taper crimp, nothing else. As you roll crimp you likely bulge out the case as there is no cannelure, as has been said before. Get a Dillon. Hornady dies are quite alright. Lee, not so much.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Are you using coated or plated bullets?

That along with trying to seat & crimp at the same time could explain your issue.

If your going to buy any more dies, buy a stand alone taper crimp die or another seat/crimp die to use as a crimp only die.

Jeff

Reactions: 4110mm

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you're going to buy any more dies, buy a stand alone taper crimp die or another seat/crimp die to use as a crimp-only die.
YES! THIS! I have these for .45 ACP and .38 Special. THE FIRST TIME that I used them, all function issues in .45 ACP evaporated and group sizes shrunk by 1/4. Obviously, there were no function issues for the .38 taper crimp die to fix, but short-range groups shrunk noticeably. My .357 Magnum hunting load groups went from "minute of medicine ball" at 100 yards, to 5 of 6 rounds inside a softball-sized circle (6.5" S&W M28, factory sights, from a bench).
I recommend Forster or Redding (if each are still in business).

One OTHER thing that I didn't see mentioned:
You might consider disassembling the seating/crimping die & comparing it with a factory diagram (if available) to see if anything is missing, damaged, inverted, unpolished, etc. In a few instances, I've "cured" recalcitrant reloading dies, just by pulling them apart & reassembling them. To this day, I have no idea of what was changed.

Reactions: Bluedsteel45

·
Registered
230 Posts
I also suggest the Lee factory crimp die. I use Hornady and Redding dies exclusively but each caliber has a Lee factory crimp die as well. Very easy to use and allows a lot of control over the crimp. It's a luxury to be able to dial in a heavy crimp or a light crimp depending on the need.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Is your brass all one headstamp? Is it possible some of your brass is bulged and it has only been by chance that you've loaded bulged cases with powder?
If a dedicated crimp die is on the table, I really like the Redding crimp dies. Seating and crimping in one step is not unreasonable to do, but it is easy to have something go wrong. I do this regularly with revolver load and cast bullets that have a large crimp groove.
Also, take the dummy cartridge that wont chamber and coat it with ink from a sharpie marker. Drop it back into the chamber and try to rotate it. This will reveal the contact areas.

Reactions: Green Mtn. Boy

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
@Bluedsteel45 If I understand correctly the only difference between the rounds that plunk and the rounds that don't is powder? Try a little less powder maybe. I agree with seating and crimping in separate operations, and I second using Lee FCD, but that doesn't sound like your problem (Yet). For sure 10mm needs taper crimp.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Something up with that powder charge. Could be too much of a low density powder mistaken for another powder/charge weight. Hairy things can happen when a pistol goes boom.

Reactions: Albroswift
1 - 20 of 30 Posts