1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on the fence between the two. I want a pistol to hunt with. Mostly whitetail and feral hogs. Live and hunt in NC mountains so line of sight in these woods is hardly ever far. No 100 yard shots in these rhodos. So any opinions are welcome but which way would yall lean?

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
I went with 10MM as I prefer to use a 1911 and Im not a fan of revolvers really. I have had no issues bagging whitetail with it some taken as far as 70 yards..

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Actually a 41 mag is closer to a 10mm than a 44. A 44 mag has a lot more of everything than either the 10 or 41. Having said that I would go for the 41 mag.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
How about one of the 16" barrel lever guns in 44 mag? Longer sight radius, easier to handle recoil. 44 magnum out of a 16" barrel hits a lot harder than either 10mm or 44 magnum in a pistol.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
For hunting 44Mag is my choice due to the wiiiide range of loads and bullet types. Max versatility.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I have both. I don't hunt as the wife doesn't like wild game. However, after shooting both the 44 mag definitely packs more wallop than the 10mm. If I were to handgun hunt I would definitely go with the 44.

·
Registered
277 Posts
There is a whole world of difference between the 10mm and 44mag. I use the 44 Mag for hogs and deer. I use it in a 44 mag Henry Big Boy when in carbine mode and Ruger Super Blackhawk when in pistol mode. Both are very accurate and will take anything I come across. A 200+ lb boar coming at you is something to be concerned about so choose wisely...

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
.460r, so you only need a barrel and springs and can still plink with .45 acp or super

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have both. Used both for hunts. Javelina hunted with the 10. Took lots of dear and a 300 boar with the .44. The 10 is great but not something I trust for larger game.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
There are a lot of people asking themselves this question right now. In brown bear country quite a few guides are moving from heavy revolvers to 10mm pistols. The trade off of a heavier hitting bullet for more and easier follow up shots is the argument I've heard. It's not just guides either, everyday schmucks such as myself are making the change too.
What started me in that direction was that my 4" .44 Mag would not fit into my Console Vault safe but a 16 round 5.25" XDM 10mm does.
The 10mm Loaded with a 200-220 gr full power SWC has similar power to a heavy .357 Mag.
For hunting when you can choose your shots and urgent followup shots aren't as critical a revolver still makes sense.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The 10mm was developed to mimic .357 magnum revolver ballistics in a semi-auto pistol. A maxed out 10mm can reach the top end of .357 magnum ballistics or the bottom end of .41 magnum ballistics.

I have long barrel revolvers and lever-action rifles in both .45 Colt and .44 magnum for mid-size game hunting up to 100 yards.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
For hunting mostly deer up here in WNC the occasion hog !! Ruger 41 mag or 44mag single action hunter . 41mag is way more than enough cartridge and easier on the shooter .

OR a super red hawk in ether 41 or 44mag
Bother will work well with a dot optic too . I sold my 44mag DW finally a few years ago but still have a DW 8" 357mag with a 2moa ultra dot on it . The 357mag is fine on hogs with heavy hard case bullets and heavy hp for deer but unless you roll your own Buffalo bore 180gr HC & HP ammo is one of the few at $$$$ cost . Remember no 10mm will match or better hot 357mags ammo . So go 41 or 44 mag . Buy the way . My old 357 DW and the 44mag verion would place 6 rounds in a 4" group at 100 yards thanks to small red dots .

I carried my revolver in across chest rig made by a tack shop . Easy access keep it cleaner and dryer over the years .

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
10mm is a great round. It is often compared to a 41 Mag but in reality, the 41 is a lot hotter.

44 Mag is much better for your intended use. But a 10mm with the right loads will be enough.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Better to have plenty of power from a 44 than just enough from a 10mm .
I'll take a 41 before I would a 10mm any day of the week .

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
No doubt about it. In my humble opinion, The .44 Mag is what to go with. Using a 10 mm is inhumane as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
24,904 Posts
This is correct.

No doubt about it. In my humble opinion, The .44 Mag is what to go with. Using a 10 mm is inhumane as far as I am concerned.
Most handgun rounds are marginal for game of any size. A well placed .44 magnum round can certainly be effective within reasonable range.41 magnum as well. I would be reluctant to hunt with anything less than that, jack rabbits maybe.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I don't have much experience with the 10 mm but I have been a 44 mag fan every since I saw my first Dirty Harry movie. The 44 mag round will work just fine for deer in the wooded areas you decribe. I am partial to the Ruger Super Blackhawk with 7.5 inch barrel myself for hunting.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Go with a 44 mag, every time! Short lever action, longer barreled revolver....its all good!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts