1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have my 10mm for a while now, and she is been running great(other than its tendency to pull little to the left - not sure if its me or the gun)

I have been shooting pretty much normal off the shelf stuff.

Now that Im pretty confident with gun's reliability, I have been thinking about shooting some stuff that is considered "hot" or original 10mm loading.

My local gunshop have several box of Underwood Ammo 165gr Gold Dot JHP.
Guy tells me that this is the hottest loading that they have.

Has anyone shot these out of their RIA 10mm?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't own a 10mm so can't say about the ammo.

You could always let someone else shoot it to see if it's you pulling to the left or not:rofl:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
A buddy of mine shoots 10mm. Underwood is pretty hot. Hotter than WWB or AE. Not hotter than some of his hand loads but up there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Underwood ammo is all I use in my g29. I use 165g, 180g, and 200g TMJ at the range. I like the 165g the best (quicker second shot). Carry 165g JHP because of it. It is hot ammo. I have a hard time getting the gun back on target quick when shooting the 200g TMJ.

I have yet to shoot my RIA 10MM. If you decide to use Underwood ammo in you RIA, please report back. I would love to know how it goes.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have shot the Underwood, Doubletap, and Buffalo Bore in my RIA 10mm. They all worked just fine. I have my own 200gr bear load worked up using 800x that is even hotter than these expensive off the shelf options.

For target/competition shooting I much prefer my light N320 loads using 180gr plated FP's. Unbelievably soft recoil and great accuracy. The 10mm has quickly become one of my favorite calibers due to the amazing versatility.

The fully supported chamber and heavy barrel design of the RIA 10mm allows you to work up some monster loads. Just do it very slowly and carefully, checking for pressure signs every 1/10th grain increment.

As a testament to the amazing strength and build quality of the RIA 10mm: I have a close friend who got his RIA 10mm several months before I got one. He accidentally double charged one of his reloads and ended up with 11grs of Titegroup. It made a big fantastic BOOM and blew out the case obviously, but absolutely no damage to the gun. After a quick break for inspection, he finished the match with no problems. He learned a pretty valuable lesson about following a strict loading procedure, and no problems since. That incident completely sold me on the RIA as THE 10mm 1911. Had that been my Delta Elite, or pretty much any other model 10mm, the gun would have suffered a lot more damage.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have shot the Underwood, Doubletap, and Buffalo Bore in my RIA 10mm. They all worked just fine. I have my own 200gr bear load worked up using 800x that is even hotter than these expensive off the shelf options.

For target/competition shooting I much prefer my light N320 loads using 180gr plated FP's. Unbelievably soft recoil and great accuracy. The 10mm has quickly become one of my favorite calibers due to the amazing versatility.

The fully supported chamber and heavy barrel design of the RIA 10mm allows you to work up some monster loads. Just do it very slowly and carefully, checking for pressure signs every 1/10th grain increment.

As a testament to the amazing strength and build quality of the RIA 10mm: I have a close friend who got his RIA 10mm several months before I got one. He accidentally double charged one of his reloads and ended up with 11grs of Titegroup. It made a big fantastic BOOM and blew out the case obviously, but absolutely no damage to the gun. After a quick break for inspection, he finished the match with no problems. He learned a pretty valuable lesson about following a strict loading procedure, and no problems since. That incident completely sold me on the RIA as THE 10mm 1911. Had that been my Delta Elite, or pretty much any other model 10mm, the gun would have suffered a lot more damage.
Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and get a box or two!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
SavageOne had some pretty hot 10mm stuff he was popping at the first Rockslide. I tried his light/normal ammo and it wasn't much more than hardball .45 but this JHP heavy-load round really got my attention! With luck, he'll chime in and identify it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The ammo OEE was referring to was the Winchester Silvertip. From what I have been able to glean it is what standard 10mm loads should be. It's advertised to run around 1280 fps. I just ordered some Buffalo Barnes 155 gr. ammo that should run at just over 1400 fps , for hunting this season.

Underwood, DoubleTap, and Buffalo Bore seem to the manufacturers that make ammo on the hotter side and I will gratefully listen to any 10mm owners who are willing to share their knowledge and experience with it.

I have to say the more I shoot my 10mm the more I love it. The felt recoil from this gun seems less than .45, to me anyway Once I get some reloads worked out and can afford more range time with it, I could see it becoming a carry option, of course I'll have to take off the reflex sights and go back to the adjustable sights.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would have gotten one of the RIA 10MM's but two things at the time, one I found a Colt Delta Elite and the other was I could not find an RIA 10MM

·
Registered
121 Posts

From where I am standing, these are great news!!! I love the 10mm round and I am extremely happy that I finally got my RIA 10mm.

Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a rock 10mm for almost a year now. I have fed it a steady diet of underwood ammo, its great. its about the hottest 10mm you can get without loading it yourself. the I would VERY MUCH recommend you replace the crap tastic factory recoil spring with a 20lb wolf before you feed to much underwood.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a rock 10mm for almost a year now. I have fed it a steady diet of underwood ammo, its great. its about the hottest 10mm you can get without loading it yourself. the I would VERY MUCH recommend you replace the crap tastic factory recoil spring with a 20lb wolf before you feed to much underwood.
replaced mine with 22lb

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you replace your mainspring as well?
Yep.
It was funny. I have friend who shoots commander size kimber. Which is pretty decent gun for petite sized girl to rack and shoot it.
And she tried to rack slide of my 10mm, and she just couldn't. Look on her face was interesting...

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
My local gunshop have several box of Underwood Ammo 165gr Gold Dot JHP.
Guy tells me that this is the hottest loading that they have.

never shot them, but have pushed 165gr bullets over Blue Dot to 1400fps in my Delta.
and i know a guy that pushes 180gr that fast in his Delta :eek:

..L.T.A.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts