1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive wanted a 1911 style gun for the longest time and after shooting one at the range today I want one even more. However I would like to go hog hunting sometime in the future and would like a bit more boom than my 9mm anyway, I was looking at a .357 as I could shoot 38 specials for target loads and load up some buffalo bore for a woods gun or if I go hunting. However I saw the rock island 10mm and it is the best of both worlds. However I have read a where people recommend shooting 10mm light loads as full power loads can damage the gun, I might as well buy a 45acp or a .40sw in that case so while 98% of the time spend shooting will be whatever the cheapest ammo I can get will be, I will shoot probably 50-100 rounds of full power rounds through it a year.

If the gun shakes itself apart or cracks from full power but still within spec ammo will the warranty cover it?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The owner of the company has stated publicly that the reason he sells the 10mm with a supported ramped barrel is so that it can be used with "+ P ammo".
I can't imagine they would deny warranty work after saying hot ammo can be used in the firearm. RIA has an amazing record of standing behind their products.

I own a RIA 10mm and I am confident in both the gun and that the company will stand behind it. I would also note that I just purchased some Buffalo Barnes ammo that shows a little over 1400 fps, for hunting. Think that would be hot enough for you?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I don't have idea where you read that, but it is wrong, RIA hs a lifetime Warranty, if it comes apart for shooting, just send it back for repair or replace:rock:....

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I don't have idea where you read that, but it is wrong, RIA hs a lifetime Warranty, if it comes apart for shooting, just send it back for repair or replace:rock:....
They replaced my 10mm total of 3 times, due to other issues.
I've posted a similar question as to how much 10mm can handle, and people responded with saying they shoot pretty hot load(reloaders) without any issue.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=438823

And if in unlikely situation where you find your self with broken gun, They either Fix it, replace it, or refund your money.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Ive wanted a 1911 style gun for the longest time and after shooting one at the range today I want one even more. However I would like to go hog hunting sometime in the future and would like a bit more boom than my 9mm anyway, I was looking at a .357 as I could shoot 38 specials for target loads and load up some buffalo bore for a woods gun or if I go hunting. However I saw the rock island 10mm and it is the best of both worlds. However I have read a where people recommend shooting 10mm light loads as full power loads can damage the gun, I might as well buy a 45acp or a .40sw in that case so while 98% of the time spend shooting will be whatever the cheapest ammo I can get will be, I will shoot probably 50-100 rounds of full power rounds through it a year.

If the gun shakes itself apart or cracks from full power but still within spec ammo will the warranty cover it?
Welcome to the forum.

The owner of the company has stated publicly that the reason he sells the 10mm with a supported ramped barrel is so that it can be used with "+ P ammo".

Not trying to be argumentative, and I'm NOT the "most informed", but correct me if I'm wrong (then I will have learned something :)), but when did 10MM make "+P ammo"? I know years ago there was a 10MMMagnun, some of my reloading manuals have these load listed, but 10mm+P is a new one for me. Tracy

·
Registered
7,459 Posts

Or if you already have a 45 1911, you could set it up to shoot 45Super a whole lot cheaper for your "less than a lot of shooting per year" purposes. I have both 10MM and 45's setup for 45Super....Super wins, but reloading is usually a must.....tho' as stated above, you can get Super from Buffalo Bore, Underwood and a couple of others. And Buffalo Bore 255gr +P is no slouch either. Just some food for thought. Tracy

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
sbaker, yes they would cover it, if the ammo you are using is within spec.
if you really want a more solid answe,r contact our member Auto Mag, he works for RIA, he will give you the correct answer......:rock:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Or if you already have a 45 1911, you could set it up to shoot 45Super a whole lot cheaper for your "less than a lot of shooting per year" purposes. I have both 10MM and 45's setup for 45Super....Super wins, but reloading is usually a must.....tho' as stated above, you can get Super from Buffalo Bore, Underwood and a couple of others. And Buffalo Bore 255gr +P is no slouch either. Just some food for thought. Tracy

.45Super would be cheaper to set up, but unless your reloader, and have reloading equipment, its gonna end up being more expensive.
Specially if you only shoot "less than a lot of shooting per year".

I'd go with 10mm. And have Arnel make you a .40SW conversion barrel.
It'll pay off in short order as .40SW would be a lot cheaper - Cheaper than .45ACP in most cases - to shoot.

Thans my plan with my 10mm

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Not trying to be argumentative, and I'm NOT the "most informed", but correct me if I'm wrong (then I will have learned something :)), but when did 10MM make "+P ammo"? I know years ago there was a 10MMMagnun, some of my reloading manuals have these load listed, but 10mm+P is a new one for me. Tracy

To my knowledge no manufacturer has ever made +P 10mm ammo. I believe calling it "+P" was Martin's way of saying hot loads. Here's the interveiw

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=2013+shot+show+marin's+update&sm=1

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
There actually is not a manufacturer that makes +P ammo for the 10MM.

As long as the Armsccor/RIA firearm has not been altered by a gunsmith other than those at Armscor in Nevada the warranty is in effect on the firearm itself, not just to the original purchaser.

I am sure that some of you have seen mention of the new RIA 10MM Mid Size...........keep a lookout for pictures from SHOT Show next month, January 14th thru the 17th I believe a few surprises are in store!!!:rock:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I considered buying it in .45 as I do not have one, and the local gunshop has a lightly used one for 300$, however I can't imagine it would last very long firing .45 super with just a spring change, and at 2-3 dollars a shot Its a little expensive even if you only go through a box once a month as I do not reload.

Although if you were sure a .45 would stand up to repeated use pf .45 I might just be tempted for 300$, thats another 250$ plus FFL fees to buy ammo with.

I just want a cannon to play around with without going to true .44mag+ levels, I doubt I would shoot hot loads in it very much I just want the capability for if I go hog hunting or have to put down something big. And obviously if I had a hog charging me I wouldn't want the slide flying off and embedding itself into my face.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I considered buying it in .45 as I do not have one, and the local gunshop has a lightly used one for 300$, however I can't imagine it would last very long firing .45 super with just a spring change, and at 2-3 dollars a shot Its a little expensive even if you only go through a box once a month as I do not reload.

Although if you were sure a .45 would stand up to repeated use pf .45 I might just be tempted for 300$, thats another 250$ plus FFL fees to buy ammo with.

I just want a cannon to play around with without going to true .44mag+ levels, I doubt I would shoot hot loads in it very much I just want the capability for if I go hog hunting or have to put down something big. And obviously if I had a hog charging me I wouldn't want the slide flying off and embedding itself into my face.
There are a couple of changes that most do to their 1911's to shoot hotter loads, and none of the changes are permanent, and most (me included) leave the gun set-up as is for their regular shooting (other than the heavier recoil spring). Normal upgrades are as follows: EGW flat bottom firing pin spring (I use no radius, but others say a small radius), up your mainspring from a stock #23 to a #25 or #26,and personally I run a Sprinco Recoil Reducing Guide Rod in all my guns (but that's just me and my guns are set-up to shoot +P as a majority load). My Colt Delta Elite 10MM is also set-up with these upgrades.

45Super really isn't as bad as the reputation it gets. 45Super operates at 28K psi, 10MM operates at 38K psi (IIRC). But that's comparing apples to oranges. Using a 5" bbl 1911, both will use approx a #24 recoil spring on average.

For your stated purposes, the higher $$$ ammo will be closely comparable, but after your high $$$ uses (1 box per month or 50-100 per year as you stated), the 45acp will be much less expensive to shoot, and ammo will be easier to locate generally.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I am sure that some of you have seen mention of the new RIA 10MM Mid Size...........keep a lookout for pictures from SHOT Show next month, January 14th thru the 17th I believe a few surprises are in store!!!:rock:
Yes! I have been saving all my allowance ever since I saw a Youtube clip from Gunblast!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are a couple of changes that most do to their 1911's to shoot hotter loads, and none of the changes are permanent, and most (me included) leave the gun set-up as is for their regular shooting (other than the heavier recoil spring). Normal upgrades are as follows: EGW flat bottom firing pin spring (I use no radius, but others say a small radius), up your mainspring from a stock #23 to a #25 or #26,and personally I run a Sprinco Recoil Reducing Guide Rod in all my guns (but that's just me and my guns are set-up to shoot +P as a majority load). My Colt Delta Elite 10MM is also set-up with these upgrades.

45Super really isn't as bad as the reputation it gets. 45Super operates at 28K psi, 10MM operates at 38K psi (IIRC). But that's comparing apples to oranges. Using a 5" bbl 1911, both will use approx a #24 recoil spring on average.

For your stated purposes, the higher $$$ ammo will be closely comparable, but after your high $$$ uses (1 box per month or 50-100 per year as you stated), the 45acp will be much less expensive to shoot, and ammo will be easier to locate generally.
Could you send me links to any of that? I would be afraid to buy the wrong kind.

ammo availability as you said is my main concern with 10mm, it is not much more expensive online but not easily found in stores while .45 is the most commonly found round here.

My only concern is the wider bullet may penetrate a hog skull less easily even in .45 super than a 10mm because of less sectional density. But hogs haven't moved here quite yet so the only way I would have to deal with hogs is if I went hunting.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts

Could you send me links to any of that? I would be afraid to buy the wrong kind.

ammo availability as you said is my main concern with 10mm, it is not much more expensive online but not easily found in stores while .45 is the most commonly found round here.

My only concern is the wider bullet may penetrate a hog skull less easily even in .45 super than a 10mm because of less sectional density. But hogs haven't moved here quite yet so the only way I would have to deal with hogs is if I went hunting.

http://www.egwguns.com/firing-pin-stops/oversized-series-70-firing-pin-stop/
http://www.egwguns.com/firing-pin-stops/oversized-series-80-firing-pin-stop/
Not sure if you'll end up with a S70 or S80 style gun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/157936/wolff-mainspring-1911-government-commander-25-lb

http://www.sprinco.com/
http://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html
Call Sprinco and talk with a tech...for either the 45 or the 10mm.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto Pistols/cID1

This should give you a decent start on figuring out what you might want/need. Like I already said, regardless of which you choose 45acp/45Super or 10mm, these are things that will help your gun run.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
With hog hunting or pretty much any handgun hunting, I'd choose penetration over a JHP.

With 45acp:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=69
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=214

45Super:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=15

10MM:
I'd stay away from the JHP's...

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=24

Just some additional ideas.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Will a 45acp penetrate a boars skull reliably?
from the time I was 9 years old up until we quit raising hogs when i was in my mid twentys I put down many hogs with a 22lr . aim right between the eyes and about an inch high . shot placement is everything . shoot one in the ass with a 12 guage slug and while it will die eventually it wont drop dead on the spot. I killed a wild boar with a 30 caliber carbine . aimed at the ear hole and dropped it on the spot . its just as much how a person shoots as to what a person shoots. I say yes a 45 acp will penetrate the skull if the shot is placed in the right spot

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Will a 45acp penetrate a boars skull reliably?
NEVER any guarantees, but I would put a LOT of stock in my 255 lswc +P bowling pin load as being able to get the job done. My loads (+P's, not supers) have chrono'd over 900fps for a 230+ power factor (prob closer to +P+, but still lower than super pressure which is 28Kpsi).

But to answer your question, If I ONLY had Buffalo Bore's +P loads, I would be confident that it would do it's job. 10 +1 rds of those would "seriously" hurt some hunk of bacon's feelings :)

Looking at my old notes, Buffalo Bore's 255's are hotter than my loads, so mine might not be in the +P+ range. I know that major ammo makers use proprietary powders not available to us lowly handloaders, but Power Pistol and Longshot do a pretty good job in getting me where I want to be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts