1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of determining a good 10rd mag for my Supermatch II. Currently, I am considering Tripp Research Cobra Mag based on the technical info provided by the website (ie. the round sits a little but higher than other mags and aligns better on the chamber making a smoother feeding).

Has anyone used this? I would appreciate some feedback from an actual user coz this isn't a cheap mag to do trial and error.

http://www.trippresearch.com/osdoc/maginfo.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
dont beat me for asking but does the 10 rd stick out of the bottom of a Full Size 1911? If its single stack it has to right? They dont show you any comparison or measurements on the website so i wanted to ask to be sure.
thanks,
-T-

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I'm glad you asked, I wanted to. :D They have to, but I've never seen what it looks like and would like to. For the range, it would be nice I suppose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FR Baseball said:
10 round mags do indeed stick out from the bottom of the grip frame. I would also be careful with your Super Match II and the magwell on it. Some 10 rounders have a "grip extension" and may not seat with the magwell on your gun.
FR are you specifically referring to the Tripp 10rd Mag? I saw the picture on the website and it doesnt seem like it has a grip extension. I maybe wrong, but please clarify your statement. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Mero,

I did some research on the 'net, the mags I was thinking about are the Chip McCormick 10 round power mags. They have a shroud at the bottom of the mag, and I don't know if they will fit within Kimber magwells. The Gen2 CobraMags that I found didn't have the shroud, so they should be fine. I might have to get a few myself and try them out :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FR Baseball said:
Mero,

I did some research on the 'net, the mags I was thinking about are the Chip McCormick 10 round power mags. They have a shroud at the bottom of the mag, and I don't know if they will fit within Kimber magwells. The Gen2 CobraMags that I found didn't have the shroud, so they should be fine. I might have to get a few myself and try them out :)

I just purchased one too for trial. Well goodluck to us then! Let me know how you like it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've put 300 rounds through my 10-round Generation II Cobramag since I got it a few months back with no problems.

Of course I've never had any problems with any of Tripp's mags. They are all I will carry for SD in my Kimber Tactical II Custom.

EDIT: My Kimber has the magwell installed and the Tripp 10-rounder fits fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I keep a 7-round Tripp mag in the gun when I carry and the 10-rounder in a ammo pouch. I often switch them when I put it on the nightstand for home defense. The 10-rounder is almost impossible to conceal in the weapon. I use it every time I go to the range. I'm constantly using my Tripp mags and they have never failed me.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I like the Tripp 8 round mags. I have experienced a problem with the 10 rounders however. In competition they tend to over-insert, expecially on a slide lock reload.

The plastic strip that extends partially up the frontstrap can bend out over the frame of the pistol, allowing the mag to insert too far into the gun. If this happens, you cannot close the slide until you have pulled the magazine down about 1/8 inch.

For 10 round mags I prefer the Wilson's, but my favorites are the Chip McCormack, which are also the least expensive. You can find the Chips on sale at Midway for about $17!

·
Registered
90 Posts
You are correct about the 10-round Tripp over-inserting when slammed in with the action open. This happened to me once.

Tripp's website shows a replacement base pad made of aluminum, or something like that, that should fix the problem. I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just recently got my 10rd Cobra Mag. I will give it a try and let you know guys how it works on my SM 2.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts