1911Forum banner

115gr safe for pistols???

861 3
got a springfeild 1911 9mm 2 months ago. have had 7 or 8 failures to lock open after the last round (550 rounds through the gun, cleaned and lubed at 0 and 250). both mecgar and orig springfeild mags, seems to do it only when im firing fast. asked the range owner, he said 115 gr was intended for sub guns, that it cycles the slide too fast, and the US military doesnt let anyone use 115 in pistols because it is hard on the guns. ive also heard the opposite, that 115 is easier on the gun because the lighter bullet moves faster and creates less pressure. so most ranges use 115 in their rentals and the military doesnt??? is 115 gr safe for long term use or not??:scratch:
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,780 Posts
Hello. 115-gr. standard pressure and even +P is fine in the 1911. My STI has seldom been fed anything less than upper end standard and warmish +P handloads as well as factory. The 1911 platform is plenty strong for the 9mm in about any sane load from what I've seen. (This assumes that sufficient case support is present which it probably is unless someone's done a really radical throating of the pistol.)

Best.

PS: As far as the rangemaster's comments, I can only assume that maybe is referring to some kind of super hot 115-gr. 9mm round. There have been some but many factory loads as well as handload data are specifically for handguns. I think that he's either referring to some specific load or is just mistaken.

· Registered
672 Posts
Your range guy is ill informed. Standard pressure 115-grain ammunition will not hurt your 1911. I can't see 115-grain +P doing anything to it either. MAYBE shooting thousands of rounds of 115-grain +P+ might cause excessive wear, but I doubt it. I'm not aware of any 115-grain loads that were intended solely for use in submachine guns. Most of the hot 9mm ball intended for subguns is 124 grain. If all that is happening is failures to lock the slide back, check the mag followers and the slide stop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.