1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,457 Posts
That is not including different finishes. That seems like a full line to me. What more do we need. ;)

1) Gunsite

2) WWI

3) NRM S80

4) NRM S80 Comm.

5) Re S70

6) XSE 5"

7) XSE Comm.

8) Gold Cup

9) Defender

10) 38 Super

11) Colt SCG

12) Talo

(They are XSE's not SXE's ;) JF)

·
Premium Member
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No question that an SS WWII and WWI would sell well, immortality is appealing to some.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'd like the Gunsite for a few bucks less. Although it would annoy the purists, I wish Colt would do a little bit of beveling on their high end guns. I handled a SCG once where I could've shaved with it's Bo-Mar blade. I know some people like the crisp lines, but I personally don't like bleeding.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Well, as indicated by some of the threads running, a Combat Elite in Series 80 and 70.

I do like the idea of a stainless WWII or WWI, as well.

WJR

·
Registered
146 Posts
airsoft eh?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I'll vote for them to drop the Talo and release their entry from the LAPD SWAT gun trials.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How about just taking their 1991A1 and puting a real beavertail and commander hammer on it. Cost should change little and these are the only two modifications I care for. It should sell, especially to those who don't want front slide serrations.

·
Premium Member
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stainless WWII or WWI, that idea is growing on me. Would you put a dark finish over them?

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I bought my Gunsite last Sat. Have to wait for next Sat. to pick it up. You know how the gun grabbers are here in Md.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Castlebravo, as a marketing "me to" I would agree that the seeming upgrade back to XS would make sense - and perhaps Colt should do it, just to be percieved as "equal".

Personally, I like the XSE better! I like having the factory dovetail cut on a gun so I can chose the sights I want. I don't like Novak/Ski-Jump sights quite as well as rounded TRIJICON "factory dovetail" replacements (I like to have the option to use the 90 degree edged rear sight in one handed or shoot wounded drills sometimes). And I actually prefer properly staked "factory Colt" front sights to a front dovetail - they don't ever move. I do think if they would make night sights standard, either way, it would give the gun an edge.

I have no problem with the XSE's "old Wilson style" beavertail. It guarantees you will get the grip safety fully depressed, every time. But I understand, again, the marketing angle of being "just like a Kimber, SA, Baer, etc." The sheep in the market will be happier - and Colt will finally match up on "features".

I'm from the old school and prefer to select my own exact "features" and have them executed by a smith I trust. But again, I do realize I am probably in a minority here.

And a VERY slight melt job on the edges probably won't kill the Colt purists that want the sharp, "beautifully machined" look. Just don't make it look like you took a belt sander to it, like a Kimber.

Keep the MIM to a minimum, and for God's sake continue to fit the barrels snug and leave slight play in the slide - the way the Maker intended. 2-3" at 25yds with absolute reliablility from the very first round should be the standard.

The problem for Colt will be that such a gun will compete directly with the Gunsite, at a lower price. But perhaps that is the place to go, and the Gunsite's special USMC barrel and "Raven", greater collectability, etc can hold it's price point anyway.

Sometimes you gotta go with the flow, I guess.

Warmly, Col. Colt

·
Registered
96 Posts
Talo

I looked it up on the Internet and it is a gold inlaid Colt 1911 with engraving. Mod. 70 or 80, I couldn't tell from the picture.

HiCap

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The Talo has an enhanced series frame with a NRM Govt Slide and with gold in lay. Drop the gold inlay, add a real beavertail and a set of Novaks and you pretty much have the Colt LAPD Trial model. And would have many of the features that members keep asking for out of the box.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts