1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to get a rifled slug barrel because it's shorter and has sights on it.

I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle, a hunting gun, so I can't throw a Super 90 short barrel on it (won't fit).

Will I lose accuracy with my bird and buckshot within 30 feet? Will it go spinning off into the wilderness or will it still hit the target?

Well let me know so I don't have to buy another shotgun.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Lead shot in a plastic wad is not going to hurt rifling in a steel barrel. Might gunk up with plastic sooner, but that is all. The French makers have put rifled barrels on shotguns for woodcock hunting. That is a small, delicate bird that flushes close and fast so a lot of pattern spread is needed. Your rifled barrel might pattern well at 30 feet but probably not at 30 yards. The only way to know for sure is to shoot it.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Note what Jim Watson said about 'lead' shot. It would not be good to put steel shot through the barrel. Lead shot should not harm the rifling as lead is softer than steel. Steel shot pits steel to steel and that can result in some damage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While shooting lead shot will not harm the barrel's rifling, I think you will find that the gun will not pattern well at anything but the closest ranges. Rifling stabilizes the slug by imparting a spin to it, either directly, or on the tightly fitting plastic sabot. Spinning the mass of shot causes the pellets to be flung away from the central axis of the shot column as soon as they leave the barrel and the shotcup begins to fall away. So, with bird shot, you'll get irregularly shaped patterns with large donuts of zero pellet density in the center, and buckshot will give horrendous patterns and print off of POA, even at fairly close range.

·
Registered
76 Posts
At a local 3 Gun match we had a new shooter show up with what was obviously an 870 slug gun. After the first shotgun stage, which were 4 pepper poppers at 15 to 25 yards, we quickly found out it was a RIFLED slug gun. After 12 rounds which were all he carried for that stage, he had NOT knocked down one. Even advancing to about ten yards. The rifling spins the shot and deforms it, absolutely destroying your pattern. Try to get a Rem Choked barrel that way you can switch to a rifled ckoke tube for slugs, yet still use regular tubes for shot. Needless to say that new shooter needed to borrow a shotgun to finish the match.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts