1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a Winchester 1300 Defender 12g, and will be taking it to the local range in a few days to test her out. I'm normally a handgun guy and the only rifle that I own is a Rugar 10/22 (just like the 12g, right?:p ). My questions are, what should I look for and expect, and what kind of rounds do you guys recomend for close distance, range use? I will do SOME hunting with it maybe once and I while, but living in Cali, the range will be where it sees most of its action. Any tips or advice would be greaty appriciated.:cool:

Thanks

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I used to own a defender until I picked up my Benelli M1014... It will eat anything you feed it from 2 1/2 to 3 inch mags. The action is extremely quick and smooth and with practice you should become quite fast with it.

It might have come with the tru glow sites, which are pretty decent in low light.

As far as home defense it is had to go wrong with buckshot...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Shotgun ammo

If you're going to the range just to function test the gun and blast away some cardboard get a box of high brass 4 shot or even some cheap bird/target loads with 7 1/2's. To test the gun for defense situations I would buy some buckshot. I like #4 Buck for home defense because it losses it slows down quicker in walls and such, but is still very lethal. I live in a small house with roomates and would hate for a stray 00 Buck pellet ro hit one of them, I know 4 Buck could still do it, but there is less of a chance. I keep my shotgun pretty much for stuff in the yard (ie Racoons when they tangle with my lab) Just about any buckshot will work fine for the range. Wally World or Dicks will usually have some sort of buck shot on special for a couple bucks a box. I have had really good luck with Sellier and Bellot 2 3/4" 12 pellet 00 buck...it holds a great pattern and is LETHAL on all things furry.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't have a defender or any model 1300, but they seem like a pretty gun gun for your uses (hunting and range use). How long's your barrel and what choke are you using? What load you use will largely depend on your choke and what you're shooting at. Are you gonna casually shoot clays, or paper targets, etc? I usually just shoot winchester AA Heavy target 1 1/8 ounce of 7 1/2 size shot. It's what i use in the luckyx competetion and it makes sense for me to just have one 12ga ammo for the range. The heavy target doesn't seem that heavy at all ( but I'm using fairly hefty guns) and they are very low brass. That said, go with the any 2 3/4" target load with either 7 1/2, 8, or 9 shot. THere's a lot of bb's in those size shot to at least hit what you want, and why punish yourself with a heavy load? Stay away from 3" on the range cuz to be honest, nobody enjoys 3" magnums, especially in a pump.
Chevy

·
Registered
662 Posts
oh yeah, before you shoot buck tho, make sure you don't have a turky or full choke on the gun. Also be weary of chokes when using steel shot. BOth generally require more open chokes.

·
Registered
229 Posts

I don't think the Defender 1300 has chokes........does it?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Mine has no choke and it's pattern is pretty wide at 25 yards.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If using 00 or #4 buck, I would look for keeping all your pellet strikes on the torso of a full-size silhouette at 25 yards, holding center-mass. That's my experience, humbly offered, although my piece has a 20" barrel. I like scatterguns, too.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hmm... i didn't realize that was a shorty.. Well, you can shoot pretty much everthing through it, though for range use I'd still stick with a target load. Unless, of course you're practicing for home defense. Otherwise, save your shoulder and money (buck is expensive round here).

Have you shot it yet? I bet it kicks like a mule. I've got an 870 with a 20 inch and an army riot model 10 18", and the model 10 isn't bad because it's heavy and the 870 isn't all that bad either, really (both are all steel with wood stocks). The sound is what got me. I'll shoot my long barreled shotties (30+") w/o ear protection (yeah, I know) and I made the mistake of leaving the muffs off when I shot the 870 the first time. I was deafened. The noise difference really caught me off gaurd. I guess that's what i get tho.

Sorry for getting off track, but I wanted to give you a heads up.
Chevy

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a FN police shotgun, Its basically a Winchester 1300. It has an 18" barrel and will shoot anything. It came with 3 chokes. Very smooth action and 7+1.

·
Registered
715 Posts
hey 92128... I live up in San Marcos, and because you can shoot birdshot, there are many places you can shoot or hunt within reasonable distances of home. that you can't do with a rifle as easily.

I haven't been around to this sight much due to my current obsession with shotguns. plus my 1911 is stuck at the gunsmiths for too long.

... you can buy a used longer barrel for sporting purposes and still have the 18" for defensive household purposes without buying a second SG. I do not like the 18 inch open cylinder shot spreads, so I am looking into getting forcing cone or choke work on my 2 18 bbls I have (both for remingtons).

I'd pattern some different shot at 10 yards for starters. the buffered buckshot (like federal premium 00 buck and winchester super) are good at keeping the pattern tight until it leaves the barrel were as the S&B is not buffered, but is only about 20 cents per shell. S&B is wonderful to shoot out of a modified choke, but not great out of an 18 inch cylinder barrel.

I have taken up casual trap shooting at escondido fish and game on wednesday evenings and just got back from a quail hunt up in riverside county. Believe me, you will get a lot more swings and shots in in any given month outdoors and close to home as you will with pistols unless you like to do a lot of shooting tournaments. I'm just infatuated with moving targets.. a great new thing to do IMO.

btw, from one of the above posts.. you can't shoot rabbits or any other small game with any buckshot in CA (bb size or smaller- turkey (#2 sized) is the only exception), not too mention you need a hunting license to murder birdies.

I bought 3 SG's recently because I liked it so much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts