1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I don't get banned for starting up 2 Glock threads in the same weekend...But I could almost start carrying the old G19 from time to time...9MM+P is a decent round and 16 of them is some serious defense for a small piece...Extra mag = 32rounds...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Or you could get an STI double stack in 9mm and carry 28 in a 170mm mag and if you feel man enough, you can do the same but with .38 Super.

:D

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
kbear38S said:
Or you could get an STI double stack in 9mm and carry 28 in a 170mm mag and if you feel man enough, you can do the same but with .38 Super.

oh yeah..now you're talkin'

boost that up to 9x23..oh yeah:rock:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kbear38S said:

kbear38s...I have a STI Competitor double stack and I can't get it to run with the BIG STICK in it...It runs fine with the smaller ones...still a lot of rounds in the smaller ones...Sent it to the smith and had it tuned....I have read your posts over the years and you seem to be an IPSIC expert...Are the bigstick magazines finiky?

·
Registered
367 Posts
...yeah, but for the cost of the STI he could get two G19's, a holster system, and plenty of extra mags. Then he could carry one on each side in cross-draw shoulder holsters, with a half dozen extra mags in a belt, and... oh, nevermind. Life is full of choices. :D

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
J MAC said:
I hope I don't get banned for starting up 2 Glock threads in the same weekend...But I could almost start carrying the old G19 from time to time...9MM+P is a decent round and 16 of them is some serious defense for a small piece...Extra mag = 32rounds...
Actually only 31 unless you carry an extra round in your pocket to top off the reload. Still you have a point, even though I prefer non +P or +P+ 9mm in 147 gr. Same penetration less recoil and flash.

·
Registered
877 Posts
My Para-Ordnance will hold 18+1 of .45ACP in a mag that you can actually use for carry (concealed or otherwise) (140mm).

It would be fun to see if a 170mm mag would actually function with .45 . . . it should hold 20 rounds and with enough slack to insert it with one in the chamber.

So . . . 20+1 rounds of .45ACP or 27/28+1 rounds of 9x23 or 9mmP . . . decisions, decisions . . . :biglaugh:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay Mus...I would declare the Barney Fife round to save face...but truth is I can't count...Damn...you slam dunked me...I saw it after posting and said to myself who will notice...okay now I know...:D

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
J MAC said:
Okay Mus...I would declare the Barney Fife round to save face...but truth is I can't count...Damn...you slam dunked me...I saw it after posting and said to myself who will notice...okay now I know...:D
No big thing. My Dad carries a Glock 19 daily. I cut my teeth on Glock 19s and 23s.

;)

They are a good choice in a carry gun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
15+1 rounds of +p is a great combination especially when carried in a JMB designed Browning HiPower (been carrying one for 30 years). I do however also like my 1911a1 equally for the .45acp it so relliably and accurately fires.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I like hi-cap mags as well as the next guy. My main gun is a G22 w/ 16 rnds on board. But, my concern is with the 9mm. I also have a G19 that I carry w/ G17-17 rnd mags with but, in a defensive encounter, how many rounds will you really be able to get off? So it's really the first 4 or 5 rnds that really count, that is why I find myself moving away from the 9mm.

OTOH, if you feel confident, then carry what you like, this is still the US of A.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Shot placement is what I think should be most important. A few well placed 9mm will drop a BG just as fast as a few well placed .45 IMHO. When I do carry a 9mm(G17 or 5906) I do carry +p ammo in hi-cap mags, it never hurts to have more and better ammo then your opponent. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
If KS ever feels the need to give my back my constatutional rights and lets me carry my current primary looks like it will be my "new" Delta Elite once I get it up to snuff. It needs a little TLC.

9 rounds of 10mm in the gun and 8 to 20 more in spare mags (if I find a local IDPA shoot might get some 10 round mags) should be more than enough to get me to safety or a longarm.

135 gr HP going 1500+ FPS, oh ya :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Better than a sharp stick in the eye, but it still can't beat 230 gr. , .45 cal. ball ammo

·
Registered
414 Posts
It's even better with a Glock 17 mag with the Glock +2 extension. That gives you 19+1.

I use my Glock 17 for a ranch gun. I shoot all kinds of things with it. I discovered that my hot 9mm handloads (that would be close to CorBon 115 gr +P's) would kill medium size varmints just about as well as a .357 Magnum. And the Glock has less muzzle blast and noise than a four inch .357 with 110-125 grain HP's. There is only about 150 fps difference between a top 9mm and a .357 out of a four inch revolver. The .357 is supposed to be some sort of death ray but the 9mm won't stop a large rat?

My large rats haven't heard about it. I've killed things up to coyote size and they go down fast. And I love the fact that I can put 20 rounds in the gun and then just go without carrying extra ammo in my pockets, etc. And I don't worry about scratching the gun on a fence post or something. Tough, accurate, and powerful enough to do the job. You couldn't buy my first generation Glock 17 from me!

Gregg

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
I've been shooting a G19 quite a bit lately. My opinion is that Glocks are at their best in 9mm. I think that the .40 was shoe-horned into the 9mm platform without there being much margin for over-pressure rounds and other ammo mishaps (due to bullet set-back in feeding, slight out-of-battery firing, and so forth).

The Glock's sharper grip angle can be disconcerting to a shooter who is habituated to the 1911's grip. I use a Weaver stance with the 1911. It seems that--for me--a Modern Dynamic Isosceles works better when using the Glock and makes the greater angle of the Glock's butt less noticeable.

With good ammo, the 9mm can give results that are on par with most any service caliber pistol. Bear in mind, of course, that these are all only pistol calibers and none of them is the hammer of Thor.

While more "beans in the wheel" are always comforting, high capacity is not much of an advantage in my opinion. In a pistol fight, one is more likely to run out of time before one runs out of ammo. It is kind of hard to come up with examples of persons shooting a 1911 empty before they have either won, lost, or the combatants have run away...assuming a competent and well-practiced shooter.

Rosco

1 - 20 of 23 Posts