1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my local gunshop I saw a 1911 mag that held 15 rounds. I've seen them in US Cav before but never in person. The dealer said he didn't know the manufacturer (I assume USA but could be wrong). Also he said he never had experience with them. I'm thinking it's a jam waiting to happen but I could be wrong again.

Anyone know about these? I'm considering putting them in my Kimber which is my "house" defense gun so concealment isn't a problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Return with us to those days of yesteryear.

At one time, a long time back, I had a 15 round 1911 magazine. It was a little struggle to get the last two rounds in and it looked a little odd with almost the length of a standard magazine sticking out the mag well but it worked - - - - for two or three range trips. The last time I loaded it up, I seated it, racked the slide back and I had 15 rounds of USGI ball ammo in the air. The feed lips just could not take the strain. It was impressive at the time to see a cartridge fountain.

I'm not quite sure if the modern 15 rounders will be much better. I'd buy a few Wilson or Shooting Star 10 rounders if you want more than 8 (with a 7 round magazine) or 9 (with the 8 rounders) rounds. There are some 11 rounders out there yet, I ahve a couple that work just peachy keen.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited 11-27-2000).]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Years ago I had a couple of no-name 15 round 1911 magazines. They were a pain to load but worked great with RN ammo although they wouldn't feed JHP or SWC worth spit!
I used to use them to shoot the Nine Pin Event in bowling pin matches. I used reloads with 200 gr. LRN bullets moving VERY slow.

They eventually self destructed (split feed lips, base pads flying off, etc.) and I replaced them with quality 11 rd. mags.

P.S. - I've got some of the 11 rd. mags left if you're in the market for some??? E-mail me.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Krag (edited 12-03-2000).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts