1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing new I guess. Stailess Gold Match with adjustable. Spend money in shipping or just bite the bullet and replace with what? Thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
DoubleD,
Your best replacement option is a Bomar sight if you want to keep it adjustable. Heinie just introduced a new sight that is non-adjustable, it will be available soon.
Hope this helps.

------------------

[This message has been edited by oldcolt (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
DoubleD

I agree with OldColt on using Bomar sights as the ultimate replacement for the adjustable sights supplied by Kimber. But I disagree with any recommendation that you replace the sights without making Kimber do it first. If you just replace the sights with Bomars then Kimber is off the hook for shipping a faulty part.

I suggest you contact Kimber and let them know what happened. If they suggest you send the pistol in ask for a prepaid UPS shipping label. This is one of their top pistols, and it broke within 1500 rounds they should pay, and have for others, the cost to send it back to them. If the sight breaks again, repeat the process.

If you let them off the hook for shipping a faulty part then they reaped a profit because the customer does not care about quality. On the other hand if you do care, and make them pay for poor quality, they will use better parts and someone else will not have the problems you have had. If this happens multiple times, and it has for others, ask them to replace the sight with a true Bomar, or refund your purchase price.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Str8_shot,
If you have a known faulty part, why bother replacing with another possible faulty part. If a part is faulty, isn't it best to replace with a well proven and reliable part? The other thing to consider is how long do you want to be without your pistol. I go through 1,500 rds every 30-45 days. To be without my pistol that often would seriously cut into my shooting time. On this one, I would count my loss and move on to the better product.

------------------

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I spoke with Kimber this morning and I'm going to give them one chance to fix it. If it breaks again then it'll be Bomar.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
OldColt

Your point is well taken. I have been there myself with a Goldmatch, though my issue was a feeding problem, not sights. I think the last paragraph in my previous post is the best reason to make Kimber fix the sights. Basicly to force a better product by hurting their profits with repair costs. A high quality company (like Toyota) will figure it out and correct the situaiton both for the current customer and all future cusomers. While a company of lesser quality (like GM) will ignore their customers comments, or complaints, and drive themselves out of business. Some lesser companies figure it out and work to become high quality companies, and others just disappear because no one want their product. It will take time to see which camp Kimber will truly be in, but you have to give them the opportunity to fix it at least once.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts