1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished shooting my 1st match last Sunday. I had been idle since 86', as previously posted I used to drop 5.6 of 452AA behind a 200gr. lead SWC. I was told the new trend with lower power factor is a 152gr SWC. Question is does anyone here use them and what loads are you using. Since 452AA is available anymore. I would like to try a clean burning, well metering powder. I see that Clays is well spoken of. I did use 231 and Bullseye but, left them because of being dirty.

------------------
Keep'em in the engine room for ... short blood trails 2 legs or 4

·
Registered
21,708 Posts
The 152 gr .45 SWC had a brief popularity about 10 years ago, right before the wide body 28 shot .38 Supers came out. Guess you missed that fad. I hadn't heard it was coming back. Might do ok for L-10 or IDPA CDP. The only data I have is in Modern Reloading - the Lee manual. It shows loads with several powders for 154, 155, and 160 grain bullets. Probably not enough difference to worry about, you will likely be working up to PF 165+ on a chronograph anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got off the phone with John, I was asking him about the light bullet loads,
he said the lighter bullets useing more powder to get the 165 power factor are great to use to take advantage of a compensated pistol, and the heavier bullet such as a 230 gn is better to use for less recoil to get the power factor of 165 not using a compensated pistol, I guess it all depends on wheter or not your pistol has a compensator on it, mine don't, he said I wpuld feel less recoil with heavier bullets and light powder loads, hmmmmmmm, I'm confused <g>

------------------
God, Guns, Harley's
- Life Is Good

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TMG, yep I have a Wilson comp on the old girl. She just purrs even after 15 years on the shelf. John, well, he must be a ghost. I can't ever reach him.

------------------
Keep'em in the engine room for ... short blood trails 2 legs or 4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts