1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few 155 gr laser cast LSWC as a trial but I need to finding a load for them I have WST,231,bullseye on hand, If someone could share this info before I load the few I have and I have to buy a box of them to get a load worked out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have loaded and fired about 500 155 gr. cast LSWC in the last year. My most accurate load was 7.4 gr. Universal Clays...not to be confused with just Clays. OAL was 1.260" with mixed cases and WW WLP large pistol primers. These were very accurate and recoiled sharply. The recoil was not uncomfortable, rather more like what I get in my .40 S&W with factory loads. The local dealer who cast the bullets told me he had cast several thousand for a local competative shooter who wanted to make major with a lighter bullet.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I got hold of some 160 gr lswc's the other year. With 4.0 gr Bullseye they had decent accuracy and a sharper but tolerable recoil.

I didn't pursue using them any more because my 1911 was just a bit finicky with the short bullet nose. What I have left I run through my Model 625 without a hitch.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I shot a ton of that bullet years ago, I think my load was 7.8 grains of HP38, which power factored at 185. I seem to recall reading in Front Sight that HP38 and 231 is very similier and may be the same powder. like all load development, start light and work up loads in .2 grains intervals.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I came up with a load to make Minor (125 power factor) with that Laser-Cast bullet. Fun set-up to shoot.

5.3 grains WW231; OAL=1.250"; used with 14# Wolff variable recoil spring.

Chrono'd at about 810-820 FPS.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How's this for dredging up an old post?

WP, did you ever load those 155s, and if so what were the results? I've been wondering if 155gr at 1100 would be a good IDPA load...

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
AKM,

Any fun you may have shooting those 1,100FPS rounds might be replaced by an equal amount of grief trying to clean the lead out of your barrel.

My advice would be to go "low and slow." (Low velocities; heavier bullets.)

(BTW, I am a Laser-Cast customer, and, YES, their bullets foul barrels.)

[This message has been edited by fremont (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, my current load is 200SWC at 850, which I have no complaints with. I am just curious about the 155s...

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I have definitely had my share of fun with 155s, but I shoot them when I want to goof around with minor power factor. It's too difficult IMO to get to major PF with them, when it's so easy to get there with heavier bullets (and cleaner barrels).

·
Registered
484 Posts
Try using Unique or universal clays. Slower burning powder will not melt the base of the bullet and coat your bbl. Make sure you use a healthy crimp and seat a little of the lead in front of the crimp. The load works great in single stacks with the proper spring weight, but could never get it 100% in a Para high cap. Good luck, DC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts