1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else using those blem bullets from Lock Stock and Barrel ?? They are Triton 165 gr 45acp jacketed Hollow Points. They are just a shorter version of the Hornady XTP 185's. I have been messing with them using slower powders like Vit 340.... Not having good luck with buring all the powder and getting the velocitys out of it to function the gun 100%. I have researched all my loading manuels and have decided to try some TiteGroup powder. It is faster and you can load quite a bit of it for 155 and 185 grain bullets without pressure problems---so they say... NO Data for 165's though.
Question is: Is anyone else playing with these bullets and if so what types of loads are you using?
BTW, LSB sells these Triton JHP bullets for $45.00 per thousand....Triton is a company that went out of business and Hornady had about 500,000 bullets left in inventory....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone who gives a hoot about this 45acp Hornady 165 JHP bullet, it really becomes a star using the Titegroup powder. I tested 6.0 to 6.6 grains and all worked very well. I settled on 6.3 grains of Titegroup and a WW-LP primer. It puts all the bullets into a less than 2" hole at 25 yards in 3 of my guns. In my STI Edge it went into less than a 1.5" group at 25 yards using sand bags and iron sights..... Very Happy with the 165 Triton Bullets from LSB.... I just ordered 5,000 more to blast with this winter..... ;) Did I mention that they sell for around $45.00 per 1,000..... I have no connection to Lock Stock and Barrel at all....Just passing on my findings

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
SAFE SUGGESTION

Use W231 and 185g data; just DON'T go to the max.....

Work with it...

Normally, but NOT always, it is relatively safe (LOL) to use the next-heavier bullet-weight data.

A always, safety first.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When did you guys order them? I tried to order some a few weeks ago and they said they were out.
5Pins,
I bought my original batch last June (6,000) and then bought my second batch with a buddy in early December (5,000 for me, 5,000 for him).....but I think he had them on hold for a week or so as he built up a much bigger order on some powders and other bullets. I have fired almost 1200 rounds of 165's searching for the perfect load (A really tough job;) ). I used 231, titegroup, N-320, and N-340. I had the best luck with N-320 and now titegroup....I now have to shoot up the remaining 9,800 bullets when I can find the time :D
Sorry to hear LSB ran out of them.....the way the guy talked at LSB, they expected them to last a few years in inventory...
With the Titegroup powder, I used the data from a current Hornady reloading book for 45acp 185 grain-----I started at the higher end figuring the bullet I was using was 25 grains lighter...everything worked fine except the slower burning powder didn't get a complete clean burn of the big powder charges needed...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
For light jacketed bullets and high performance, the best powder, bar none (IMHO) is Alliant Power Pistol. This stuff ROCKS!!

Note: When using the tables from the Alliant books and website, I ALWAYS reduce the starting charge at least 2 grains BELOW the starting load. Work up VERY carefully. No joke, folks--when they named it Power Pistol, they meant it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts