1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of buying some .45 165gr JHP bullets from Lock Stock and Barrel. The bullets were made by Hornady for Triton. I used some of there 185gr bullets but there out of them. Has anyone used 165gr bullets in the .45 ACP? I can’t find any data for bullets that light. I could use 185gr data with a max load as a starting point.

·
Registered
516 Posts
5Pins
I bought 5,000 of these 165's from LSB. I worked up a load of Vit-Vor N320----6.3 grains and a WW LP primer. Mixed brass. This will function all my 45's and works ok in my one Comp gun. I am now out of N320 and until I can get somemore at a gunshow in Dec or Jan. I am going to try some WW-231. There was load data on the Vit-Vor web site for 155 and 185 grain so I just split the difference. On the 231 I called a Tech at Sierra 800 number to discuss what might work. We both came up with 6.3 to 6.8 grains----but you need to start at 6.3 and work up slow.... DO NOT LOAD A LARGE QUANITY until you are sure of the load and it will function the 1911 and isn't to high in pressure. I am also going to try some Vit-Vor 340 I have. These bullets are a lot of fun to shoot...very little recoil with the right load. Plus you can get them going pretty fast. Plus they are cheap.... I will be buying some more. They also seem pretty accurate at 20 yards---about 1.5" group off of a sand bag for 5 shots. I did it twice in the same day with the same batch or reloads in two different guns.
You are going to need a few .10thns of a grain over the max for 185 printed loads to make the smaller 165's work the gun ok.....But a real fast burning powder might spike before you reach that happy level. Work up slow!!
I did not work up any MAX loads as I just wanted the guns to function (cycle) ok. I am sure you can adjust your recoil springs to make a lighter load work ok. I have 16-18 pound springs in most of my guns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts