1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,
An acquaintance of mine happens to be the current owner of a 1918 Colt 1911 (SN 219XXX, I believe) with what would appear to me to have 60-70% original finish remaining. The grip panels are worn (lotsa character) but intact and seem original to the gun. All parts appear to be correct for the time and seem to have been together for a long, long time. Mechanically, it doesn't seem to have been fired much. He is asking $1200 for the pistol, which includes a 1918-dated US flap holster that came with the gun when he bought it about 10 years ago.

I'd like to buy this gun from him. Does the price seem fair?

I like to shoot all my guns. Assuming the gun is in excellent condition mechanically, I plan to shoot it with mild 230 gr lead factory reloads at about 800 fps. Do folks recommend using shock-buffs in these old warhorses?

Thanks in advance for your help!

edited to correct SN range...

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
From time to time the old 1911's show up with cracked frames, and you always run this risk when firing one of the old pistols. Much improvement has been done in metallurgy in the last 100 years. I wouldn't pay any more than I was willing to risk on destroying the collector value using it as a shooter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help on this one, guys!

Yes, if I acquire this one it wouldn't be for sending 100's of rounds downrange every weekend. But I would like to put maybe 50-100 rounds through it every few weeks. Does that sound excessive for a pistol of this age?

Thanks,
vanfunk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.