1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I already posted this, but maybe not. I don't notice comments on any of these 18-9's. Do these come in 38 Super too? I have seen some mags for 38 Super so that's were that question.

Anyone have one? Just curious if there is something about these to keep people from buying one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
they do not sell, or market them in 38 super, they could possibly be converted though. the 38 super mags are mainly for race guns, to my knowlege para has never really made a gun in 38 super, my guess the 38 super mags will work "ok" or with slight modification with 9mm's.

happy shooting.

------------------
Any gun will do if You will do.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Para had a booth set up at the IDPA nationals and I shot one of the 18-9's and I really liked it, I think it would be a good choice for stock service pistol in IDPA.

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn I was starting to think a 18-9 was figment of my imagination. So Kevin-64 the gun functioned okay? I always heard 9mm's and a 1911 don't work good together for whatever reason. I assume the 9mm could be reamed out to 38 super without a problem...maybe I am wrong.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The 9mm can be easily converted to 38 super. All you need is to have your barrel chamber converted using a chamber reamer for 38 super. All the other components are good to go including the magazine.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
558 Posts
Kobra, I only shot about 20 rounds through it, no problems with it, nice trigger, the only thing I didnt like, the magazine was hard to load.

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
276 Posts
As for the P18-9, I have one (S/A- not LDA)and like it very much. It's great for IDPA Enhanced class. It is indicated as a LE/Govt sales only since it didn't come out until '95 and all mags are HiCaps. I could only get mine on a signed LE letterhead. It runs great with the exception of being finicky with extractor tension. I have heard there are 10 rd mags out there.

I also have a Para built in 38 super. Although no factory guns were made, Para did make HiCap mags for 38 super.

Contrary to what some of the other posts say, the 9mm and 38 super mags are not the same. The feed lips on the 9mm are a tad longer than those on the super. I put the caliper to them. I have tried the mags in both guns and the super will run fine with the 9mm mags but the 9mm will not run 100% with the super mags. The shorter lips on the super mags allow the 9mm cartridge to kick up out of the mag too soon.

I haven't checked for sure but it is possible a little adjusting of the feed lips on a P16 mag (40 S&W) would allow 9mm to feed properly. I've seen this work with other guns so I don't see why the Para mag is any different.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The P-18/9 isn't imaginary, it's just rare. I tried to buy one about two years ago and had it on order for ten months. It was NOT listed as LE only at that time. The factory finally told me the gun was just sitting there because they weren't going to make the 10-round restricted magazines for it and cancelled my order (strictly a price issue). I guess they finally started making the 10-rounders? BTW, Cheaper Than Dirt sells Para mags for the P18-9 and I'm not sure if they still have full capacity available but maybe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Greetings all, I'm curious about the P-18 also. Anyone know what a STS P-18 runs? Are replacement mag bodies available from the same places?
I suppose a spare barrel would be in order for a 9X23? Thanks all, Monte

·
Registered
175 Posts
The P-18 is not an LE only. The Hicap mags are. They make them in 10 rds now. I just picked one up at Gander Mountain for $633.00 2 weeks ago. So far it has shot 100% Only about 800 rounds through it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've heard that the 18-9 can be troublesome but I cannot find any proof of that.
100% for the first 800 rounds is good. What ammo are you using?

·
Registered
175 Posts
It was a mix of old and new, Win white box, Remington, Blazer, some speer GD. We cleaned out the old ammo locker and shot it all up. I happy with the gun. It needs a trigger job. The trigger is 5.5 pounds with some creep. EGW will fix that right up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn you boys are going to get my curiosity up enough to entice me into ordering one. May have to check into that this weekend.

·
Registered
77 Posts
G'day KOBRA

You and your fellow Americans have been "WRIPPED OFF" !!!!!!!!!! :p

P18.9 for sale in-house USA only.........Australia & the rest of the world get both the P18.9 & the P18.38S Limited !! (the .38Super for INTERNATIONAL SALES ONLY). *QUOTE- Sara Leroux at Para Ordnance

Best wishes for 2005 from OZ :D

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Converting a P-18.9 to 38 super is not a problem, you can also convert to 9x23.
That being said I've experienced more difficulty trying to feed 9x23 ammo from the 38 super tubes. I've had no trouble feeding 9mm from 38 super tubes. As a matter of fact I own two switch top Para's (9mm and 40 topends)I've built using P-16's as the base gun, both of these guns feed 9mm very well using Para 38 super mags.
I've also used the 38 super mags in a stock (except for trigger job) P18.9 LDA and I've had no feeding problems.
Now all of these guns and topends have the old style extractor so I can't say if there would be any feeding issues with 38 super mags and the new power extractor.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Mad Mucus

Hey Para's are made here in Canada and we can't get the .38 Super! Not sure why I would want one with the price of ammo for it being what it is. Would like to get my hands on a 9MM though. Would go well with my Trojan and who knows maybe we will get rid of the 10 round rule one day.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
G'day Bob Bank

Apologies to you & yours.

I reload my own ammo so price is not an issue.
I'm a .357mag revolver man, but want to buy a 1911 style pistol for target comp shooting <25m. Would you recommend a P18.9 or a P18.38s Limited to me? I would think Canadians, like Aussies, are unbiased towards their own products, quality & durability being of most importance. Are Para single actions the "BEST OUT OF THE BOX"?

Mark

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Mad Mucus

I had a P-14 Ltd. in .45acp which I sold to my son. Gun was/is super accurate out of the box. Never did have a FTF. Gun was in stainless. Sold it to him so I could get a Para SSP with the new extractor. This gun hs about 1,000 rds through it now and has been a joy to shoot. Very accurate.

I have not yet bought the 9MM. Para enjoys a very good reputation up here and has done quite well in the States. I have not heard of problems with the 9MM gun. Personally, and I don't know what ammo costs are like in Australia but I can't see getting the gun in .38 Super unless you have good access to brass and reload. Here 9MM is very inexpensive and really cheap if you reload. Stephen Camp has written an article on his website comparing the 9MM to the .38Super. You might want to check it out.

I bought an STI Trojan from a chap in Toronto. The gun was virtually brand new with less than 200 rds. through it. The gun is great and very accurate. Nine rd. mags are all you can get with it so you are effectively down a round if shooting IDPA or IPSC where you are limited to ten rounds. Gun has virtually no recoil, is well made and a joy to shoot. Had I not got a good buy on the gun I would certainly have bought the Para 9MM instead.

I own a FN Hi-Power and a CZ85 which are two great pistols as you know. Of the two I think the CZ85 is a better shooter with the DOA/SA system but the Hi-Power has not been around long enough for me to comment. Both guns are well made as you would expect. Neither of them are 1911's though and you really can't beat a well tuned 1911 trigger can you.

On balance, if it were me, I would go with the Para in 9MM over the super for the reasons stated. Para service is excellent, in fact as good as it gets.

Wish I could say I could outshoot any of the guns mentioned but I can't that is for sure. I don't know if any of this helped much. Good luck to you fellows down there.

Regards and all the best for the New Year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I carry a P18-9 LDA on duty. I am our Dept range master, and am at the range at least 3 days a month. I have fired alot of rounds through my P18. Not the first problem.
Para customer support isn't the greatest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts