1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just beginning Bullseye shooting and need your opinions on reloading the above cast bullets. What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of using the two? It seems I read somewhere that some people use the 185gr while shooting 25 yd targets and others use the 200gr for 25 and 50yd. Is one more accurate that the other? Thanks to all.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Perhaps a bullseye shooter will chime in here, but in the interim....

If memory serves, we used to use the 185's for 25 yards, but found the 200's more accurate for 50 yard shooting. The presumption was that the 200 was more stable at longer range, though I doubt if it makes that much difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use LaserCast 200 gr SWC for both 25 and 50 yard shooting. I found that one load seems to work best for me. I shoot at 750 fps. at both ranges and adjust my sights. Some of the other guys like shooting the 185 gr. bullet a little faster and do not adjust their sights. I think that you will have to try both to find out what works better for you.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I used to use a 185 gr for 25 and 50 yards. 3.2 gr of Bullseye powder for 25 yards and 3.8 gr Bullseye for 50 yards, so there was no sight adjustment.
The 185 gr bullet was used as a personal preference for a little less perceived recoil.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I use the H&G 68, 200 gr LSWC exclusivley, it has proven to be a winner for loading, feeding, accuracy.

Early on I had some problems with the 185gr and went to the 200 for a little longer nose, but looking back I suspect it was a loading problem related to OAL and had nothing to do with the bullet weight.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had very good success with the Magnus M801 from Champions Choice. It's listed as a 185 grain bullet, but weighs in at 190. I use 3.9 grains of Bullseye. The combination in my gun will hold the X ring at 50 yards from a rest. The recoil isn't too bad for the 25 yard line either.
Regards,
Crazy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts