1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am shopping for defensive ammo that I can also afford to use as practive ammunition. And I need a lot of practice.

The soon to be daily carry weapon - A springfield milspec 1911A1. I'm planning on keeping it stock, except for a possible extactor swap (for a Ed Brown Hardcore) and extractor tuning.

Of course the 230gr load is commonly recommended load for the 5" barrel. But what about 180gr? 1000 fps vs 810. Am I correct in assuming that 230 gr load is just going to deliver more energy to the target? By how much?

During my first range session with the milspec I put 50 rds of 185gr WWB and 150rds of 230 gr WWB through the gun. I liked the way the 185 shot *much* better. I shot tighter groups with it. If I can shoot more accurately and more quickly with a 185gr load doesn't that offer a defensive advantage over a heavier load?

Georgia Arms sells a 185 gr JHP rd for $205 per 1,000 + shipping. They're in Georgia and I am in KY so shipping should be reasonable along the Dixie Highway. And the Ammo is made in America by a small (relatively) manufacturer. That appeals to me. Oddly, Georgia Arms doesn't offer a 230gr JHP rd.

What do you think?

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
"FIRST, IT MUST GO BANG"

I think Georgia Arms makes excellent ammo, both new and 're-manufactured'.

And if YOU shoot the 185g's better that's what you should use; confidence is king in real-life encounters.

Don't worry about 'energy' and mathematical formulations proving power one way or another; consider delivering SUFFICIENT power.
Quickly.
Accurately.
Continuously.

And some other stuff.............

·
Registered
141 Posts
I second mike benedict's sentiments about the 230gr Gold Dot rounds. They are great, and reasonably priced, too, so you can get in a lot of practice.

Ghost

·
Registered
660 Posts
The 230-grain loads are generally the better choice for self-defense use. Many 185's either underpenetrate or fail to expand. Don't fall into the 'energy' trap- 'energy dump' from a handgun just doesn't mean much, if anything. Any 230-grain Gold Dot load, be it from Speer, Georgia Arms, Pro-load, etc. will do as well as anything else. The Winchester Ranger T load is great if you can find it, as is the Federal Tactical.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My vote goes to geargia arms also. I use their .38spl, 9mm, and .45 acp for practice and use their gold dots in .38spl, .357mag,9mm, 9mm makarov, and .45 acp. I've had no troubles whatsoever with this ammo. As said before shoot whatever you are comfortable with just as long as it is reliable in the gun you are using.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts