1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Springfield 1903 about 4 years ago and I have never had a problem until recently.

I load the first round fine but when I try to load the second I cant push the follower down, it gets caught on the left side (opposite of the 1st round) I have to use a screw driver to move the follower to the right to get more rounds in.

When firing, once I get the last round it seems to have the same issue causing the round to jam. Most times I have to remove the follower and spring to break the jam.

It is a springfield armory 1903, serial on the receiver dates to 1939. The stock is USGI but I'm not sure if it is original. I have not replaced or tampered with any part of this rifle in the 4 years I have owned it.

I would greatly appreciate any help or tips. Thanks

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Is the follower easy to push down? Does it bind at any point? What loads are you using?

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Is the spring under the follower upside down? Funny it would take this long to be a problem.

Welcome to 1911Forum!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would just to make sure replace at the very least the mag spring (My own 03 had a weak one that caused feeding issues.) and maybe the follower.

I got my parts from Fulton Armory and they were cheap enough that even if it doesn't solve the problem you at least have some spare parts.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Maybe he joined multiple forums and made his first post on each,
hoping to find someone with 1903A3 expertise to answer his question.
If he got his answer elsewhere, he has no need to return.

Or maybe he just forgot his new password. I have to write mine down.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
"Stuck follower"

The follower gets stuck in the gap between the receiver and bottom metal, usually on the left side of the action and on the last round.

Have you had the receiver out of the stock? If so did you torque the action properly?

Easy fix is to use an A3 follower. Milled 03 followers are thinner while the stamped A3 follower is thicker and won't get stuck in the action gap.

That's my guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts