1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by spock:
Anyone done any testing with a 1911 @ 100yds? What were your results and groups size averages? spock
Ohhh... Easily, "Minute of Billboard"

If I can find a consistent point in space for a 2-3 foot hold-over, I can usually hit a target, but with the Camp Carbine, it works out better, only about a 1-2 foot hold over.

Heck, I can even see the hole appear about .3 seconds later if I watch closely

·
Registered
259 Posts
My shooting buddy and I shoot bowling pins at 100 yds to see who buys lunch. Sometimes we shoot off-hand, and sometimes we shoot from sand bags. On a good day, we can usually hit 50% from the bench. I don't ever recall measuring groups at that range, though. I don't think my ego could take such a blow.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a steel plate ( 8 incher ) at 100 yards I can usually get 6-7 hits out of 8 shots easily . My freinds dont beleive it til I prove it to them . Of course I shoot my 2 inch 38 snubby at that range to . I am not special I just do this alot sort of like Elmer Keith I have learned the correct elev. to hold on .

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter
Rafter S Gunleather 417-277-5636
www.raftersgunleather.com

·
Registered
550 Posts
Holding for the head, a one foot or so group at a tad below center of the body is about the norm, though it depends quite a bit on wind.

Like the 200 meter ram in pistol silhouette shooting, it is not nearly as difficult a shot as it looks, provided one has a pretty fair understanding of trigger control.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Generally speaking, I've had about the same results (depending on ammo) as KLN. Aiming for the head, they will usually drop into the torso on a B-27 target.

·
Registered
828 Posts
It is not so difficult, provided you have a good pistol and ammo it likes. With a 1911 and a 850 fps 230gr. RN load zeroed at 30 yds. the POI at 100 yards is -16". This is about my experience, and I aim for the head in a B27 target or Pepper Popper just like KLN said. Groups are about 12" standing. Now, shooting siluetas @100 yds. (and beyond) with a 1911 is more difficult, you have to find how much elevation the front sight rises above the notch and then keep it constant. On a good day, after a couple ranging shots, I can hit about 75% of the steel pigs at 100 yds. with any of my guns (including a G23) standing.
Plinking at long ranges with handguns is a lot of fun
!!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
According to Forker's "Ammo and Ballistics" book, .45 ACP will have significant drops between 18 and 34 inches at 100 yards (depending on brand, weight, powder, type of bullet), most of the rounds being in the mid 20s.

A .45 is an excellent round, but was not really designed for ranges of 100 yards, but for closer in CQB fighting. The combination of cross section and slower speed sort of reduce its aeronautic abilities to have a flat trajectory over any great distances. Out to 50 yards, drop was between 4 and 7.6 inches. At 25 yards, drop was only 0.9-1.9 inches. There was one exception that must be a typo. PMC 230 gr FMJ ammo was shown with 11.4 inches of drop at 25 yards, but came up on a drop of only 5.6 inches at 50, down to 23.2 at 100. Given that most bullets do not move in a serpentine fashion, it must be a typo at the 25 yard mark and was probably meant to be a 1.4 inch drop.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just for [email protected] and giggles I shot at 100 yds. Surprised the heck out of me that I wasn't doing to bad.

However, I like Jaydee's commnet about "minute of billboard"! That is great!

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Just in case: one thing is drop, and another trajectory (bullet path compared to line of sight). The 45 bullet I mentioned has a drop of 25" at 100 yds., but it is zeroed at a typical 30 yards (this is striking about +0.2" at 25 yards), and hits at -16" at 100 yds. It is tricky (and not practical in real life) to aim slow moving bullets (45 ACP, 38 spl, 44 spl) at 100+ yards, but it can be done, it just takes a few ranging shots, and the accuracy does not deteriorate much at this ranges. One small advantage of subsonic bullets is that they lose little velocity (mantain momentum better) and also have less wind deflection.
For example our 45 bullet launched at 850 fps would still be going 770 fps (9.5% velocity loss) and drift 5" at 150 yards with a 10 mph wind, a 125 gr. 9x19 launched at 1120 fps would be 925 fps (17.5% loss) and drifting 8" at that range.
Of course it is much easier to shoot with the flatter 9x19 (or a 357, 44 mag, etc.).

·
Registered
538 Posts
From braced sititng, a five inch group is no problem with a good gun, and large target. Usually use an action pistol target.

Shooting a 12' plate is harder for me with my 70 year old eyes. About 50% on the steel.
Load is 200grswc lead, over 5gr Bullseye.
GLV

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
At one of my ranges, there's a life size silhouette of a ram @ 200 yards I can hit with 4 out of 7 shots

Boom ... wait ... wait ... wait .. DOOOIIING!

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
If the sun is just right you can watch the bullets go downrange too!
-----------
An aside; while living in the U.K. in the mid-70's I had the opportunity to shoot a .44 TDE Auto Mag at a local range (a disused limestone quarry). Lots of fun softdrink cans and rocks at about 100 yards with open sights.

[This message has been edited by LAK (edited 10-21-2001).]

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
In Elko NV, groups of us would go out. None but myself and one other equipped with 1911 .45ACPs. He got one much later in my shooting days there(1999-2000). Anyway I could shoot rock etc. targets sighted in by rifle shooters at closer ranges(100 yrds). But to measure these shots in groups. Would do no one justice, as I felt like jelly. Just to hit the target or, spray dirt at it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Anyone ever try one of the Browning Hi-power's with the tangent sight out to 500 meters? :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
100 yds. is wasting your ammo. I guess it would be interesting to do the test, but just a couple of times, just to see.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Maybe it doesn't work like this, but it seems to me if you can get 2" groups offhand at 25 yds, shouldn't you have 8" groups at 100 yds?
Not MOA, just groups.
Or maybe there's other ballistic factors I don't know about.
Like wind effects on a 400 fps bullet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts