1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt 1911 Delta in 10mm, I had EGW do a reliablity and trigger job. EGW recomended I installed a full lenght guide rod and a 24lb recoil spring, extended ejector and his firing pin stop. I have installed the guide rod and recoil spring. What will the extended ejector and firing pin stop do? I use this gun as my primary CCW and IDPA gun.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,525 Posts
The extended ejector will probably . . . make it difficult to eject a live round. The idea is to give the ejector an earlier hit on the case, and therefore more time for the case to get out of the ejection port during the extraction/ejection part of the cycle. I've never had any ejection problems with my Delta, so wouldn't want to change ejectors.
The firing pin stop has a square edge where it meets the face of the hammer, unlike a factory stop, which has a fairly large radius. A smaller radius on the edge of the stop means the slide has less leverage on the hammer, so theoretically (and demonstrably, as far as I'm concerned) the slide should stay locked in battery just a little longer. This should improve accuracy, as the barrel isn't moving while the bullet is still in the bore, and the pressures should subside some before the action unlocks, reducing wear.
Do a search in the Colt forum on "Delta", and you'll find lots of posts on spring rates, guide rods, FP stops, etc. I like the EGW FP stop, and a 20# spring, on a Cominolli guide rod.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I agree with RickB on both the EGW Firing Pin Stop and the Cominolli Guide Rod. I've had work done on a Kimber .40S&W by George Smith and I'm surprised to hear he would work on a 10MM as he told me he didn't like the caliber. Then again I wanted a 10MM barrel fitted to my Kimber and the Kimber slide is not as heavy as a Delta slide so maybe that was it.:hrm:

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
A good setup would be EGW fp stop, 18.5 recoil spring, 23lb mainspring, and CP superbuff. The flat fp stop and full power mainspring would delay unlocking enough that you wouldn't need a monster recoil spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts