1911Forum banner

1911 .22 Conversion

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  tgt_usa 
#1 ·
I have a beautiful Colt Competition 9mm handgun that I'm thinking of converting to Rimfire. I'd like some feedback on conversion kits. I saw a video of a Colt Ace conversion, that looked great. The slide was blued like my Comp. and that's what I want. He said he was having feed issues. I guess my question is, who makes the best conversion? I'd like to keep it looking the same as it does now. No Cerakote or other finishes. Also, what about a complete gun, Sig, Walther, etc.?

#8 · (Edited)
Nelson Custom. Nothing else comes close.
The Kart conversions are better, but difficult to find one that isn’t shot out by the owner. Price is also several times the Nelson along with nearly in obtainable parts.....but they are very, very nice conversions.

For stuff in production, at a reasonable price, +1, Nelson 100% is the way to go. I’ve had several and would buy one again without hesitation.

#3 ·
I have had 2 Colt conversions. They are very well made and finished. If I was buying another conversion for looks only, it would be a Colt. I sold both of my conversions to guys who were more concerned with appearance than accuracy or reliability. I got outrageous money for them. My Advantage Arms conversion is much more accurate and dependable than either Colt conversion was. My favorite shooter is a Kimber conversion on an aluminum frame. Not quite as accurate but just as dependable.

#4 ·
A buddy has a Tactical Solutions conversion that he likes.
It's steel, with the reciprocating breechblock, so you get full weight, unlike the aluminum conversions.
I like my old Colt conversion, which is only about 98% reliable, but has never had any chronic issues, just an occasional misfeed or failure to eject (consistent with every rimfire I've owned or shot).

#5 · (Edited)
I have a Marvel Type I with a lockback steel slide, a Nelson with a lockback alumninum slide, and I recently inherited an old Colt conversion. I have shot the Marvel and the Nelson a lot, and they are both very accurate, but still have a few small reliability problems. You can order the Marvel and the Nelson set up to use irons and red dot sights. I have not shot the Colt, but it is by far the prettiest.

Before you choose, think about what you want to do with it. If you want to shoot Bullseye matches with it, I would look at the reviews over on the Bullseye forum. If the slide locking back when empty is important to you, look at the Marvel Type I and the Nelson, and some of the Colts won't lock back because they don't have the right slide stop or magazine. If you want a steel slide, you don't want the Nelson or the aluminum Marvels. My impression is the Colt with its floating chamber needs the most maintenance, and the Marvel and the Nelson need little.

I believe the Colt is the only one you can get, blued.

#6 ·
I've reduced my conversion kits to just a few original Colts. I prefer the blued steel construction--the slide flats are like mirrors!

I shoot mostly mini-mags through the one dedicated conversion--it'll usually go through 200-300 rounds with no problems. I clean the floating chamber with the coiled stainless steel wool ball then lube it with Kroil.

Accuracy is good enough for plinking, but then again I'm not a bullseye, pardon; "precision pistol" competitor, so it's good enough for me.

Magazines are expensive, as are the kits, but you get what you pay for.

As an aside, when I first assembled my Colt/Foster pistol it went full-auto after the first few magazines. Safety issues aside, I was amazed that the magazines fed properly and the pistol was actually quite controllable in full auto.

Of course, I replaced the sear and disconnector with brand-new parts and the gun has proved reliable ever since (1000+ rounds).

If you want the weight to match your Colt and you want beautiful, old-school bluing then the Colt conversion is the one to get, imho.

#7 ·
The problem with the GSG / Sig

May not apply to your use, but me the GSG/Sig pistol was essentially a waste:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=9817306&highlight=Sig+safety#post9817306

Other .22 pistols with a magazine safety, that I like; but that safety changes the manual of arms too much from that of a real m1911.

Best? For accuracy and support, Nelson Custom Guns, but the standard finish doesn’t meet your qualifications.

For training to the 1911, in my experience, which is pretty wide as far as conversions go, the Kimber “Rimfire Target”; aside from lack of slide-lock on an empty magazine, it’s simply a 1911 chambered in .22LR.

#13 ·
Hi, I have the old Colt conversion with the "floating chamber". I just shot it last week and it works great. You have to use a '70 series or earlier frame or remove the extra safety on the newer frames. The floating chamber allows the pistol to recoil even with the 22LR. Only problem is these are now considered collectable, regards, Mike

#14 ·
I'd like to thank JayhawkNavy02 for costing me $800. :) His mention of a Kart conversion started me searching for one again. I found a nice one and posted it on another thread here a few days ago. I love it. It did not disappoint and I haven't even fired it yet. :rock:

#15 ·
Since you included other brands and depending if you only want a plinker not a serious target pistol, I love my Sig 938 with the .22 conversion installed. Mine is the same size as a standard 938 , looks the same and has night sights to boot. Otherwise my fifties era Colt conversion kit is my choice.

#17 ·
The maker of the Nelson conversion is "Nelson Custom Guns"; moreover, Larry Nelson strikes me as a very agreeable and reasonable sort of man. In your place, I'd call him and ask for a quote on a kit with a blue'd finish. Tell him how important to you is a close match to a Colts' blue: see what he says

#18 ·
I'll add to the thread that if you are using a Series 80 frame, the Marvel Precision 1911 Conversion Units will work. That includes both Unit#1 and Unit#2. If you are using a frame other than one with a .45ACP ejector any of the 1911 .22 Conversion Units mentioned above may NOT slide on the frame without removing your non .45ACP ejector. I have a newer Series 80 Colt 9mm Competition Model and the .9mm/.38Super ejector will not clear the Marvel slide as the .9mm/.38Super ejector is very tall. Both Marvel and Nelson use their own proprietary ejectors mounted to the barrel so you would more than likely need to remove the non .45ACP ejector on your frame to be able to use it with a .22 Conversion Unit.

#19 ·
My Nelson slid right onto the frame of a Kimber Stainless Target II, chambered in 9mm Para. Worked right away.. The Kimber frame has a great trigger, contributing to extraordinary accuracy; but FTX ~1 of each 8rds. The unreliability, even after a return and re-work by Kimber (~1 of 5rds before), made it seem a waste of money ... A waste until adding the Nelson. Still, the most expensive dedicated .22LR frame I've done. My Marvel (a gift from a friend) rides a Taurus frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.